Chapter 8 - Say Your Prayers

8

The Impala was parked nearby in the small run-down lot of the shabby motel with a row of identical doors along the long run of concrete as Dean stood watch, carefully scanning the area as Sam stood on one knee and quickly used the small thin metal pins to sink each locking mechanism together until the door creaked open. With cautious glances, they both entered the darkened motel room and closed the door behind themselves to begin the investigation.

Sam stepped further into the room, an uneasy look on his face as he silently scanned the mostly tidy room when his and Dean's eyes seemed to simultaneously notice the linoleum streaked with dried dark blood and an angel blade with blood staining the tip

Dean stepped closer, glancing back at Sam and noticing the look in his eyes when he shook his head, "We'll find her, Sammy. We just gotta work this like any other case, okay? Just think of it like that."

Sam shut his eyes and turned away as he dropped his head, "She could be anywhere, Dean... If this is Meg or Diana behind this-"

"We don't know that yet, Sammy."

Sam stopped, looking back when Dean shrugged, looking around the room, "I'll take the bathroom and the kitchen, you check around out here, okay? We didn't just drive out all this way for nothin'..."

Sam let out a soft sigh, nodding before they split up and began to search the room quickly and quietly. Sam took note of the perfectly made bed, checking the windows for salt lines and the drawers of the nightstands on either side of the bed. He moved on to the small black trash can, picking it up and emptying it onto the bed when a black phone with a shattered screen bounced onto the blanket, ignoring the feeling of dread in his chest that told him it was my phone and quietly pocketed it.

"Hey, Sammy. Check this out."

Sam turned back, watching as Dean stepped out of the bathroom with his pocket knife in hand that had a small piece of slimy flesh hanging from the end as they exchanged knowing glances.

Sam furrowed his brows, shaking his head, "Is that what I think it is?"

Dean nodded, flicking the piece of flesh onto the tile floor behind him and wiping the blade against his jeans, "Yep... I don't know how the hell Mandy got tangled into this, but there was blonde and black hair in the tub too."

Sam shook his head, furrowing his brows as he looked back at him, "Shapeshifters? What the hell is Meg doing with shapeshifters-"

"We can't just assume the worst, Sammy, we gotta go with what we know."

Sam raised his eyebrows, giving him a look, "A shapeshifter wouldn't have gotten the drop on Cat like this, Dean. Meg is behind this, or- Diana? Or both, for all we know? We could already be too late-"

"I'm not seeing any storm clouds or blood moons, Sammy. The world's still turning, so that must mean Cat is still alive."

Sam eased up as he looked away at the ground when Dean shook his head, "I think I saw a camera outside, we'll just go to the office and check the tapes. Shapeshifters can't just disappear, so maybe the camera caught someone comin' or goin' from here?"

Sam nodded in response, taking in a breath and looking back at Dean, "Okay. Do we still have those U.S. Marshal badges in the car?"

Dean nodded, flashing a brief smile as he headed back towards the door, "Attaboy, Sammy. It's just like riding a bike, isn't it?"