Chapter 14 - American Pie

Start from the beginning

"This was my favourite song as a kid,"

He glanced at me and smiled, interlocking his hand with mine. I turned around behind me and saw Teresa also looking at me, she raised her eyebrows

I opened my mouth, but she interrupted before I could speak,

"I remember..." She chuckled.

I had shared all my childhood with Teresa. And she remembered...

And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye

Singin', "This'll be the day that I die,

This'll be the day that I die"

(Que driving montage)

The car came to a halt on a single-lane road as we turned into the side of a canyon. Broken down and rusted cars covered in sand and dust filled the road as far as we could see before the road turned slightly behind a bulge in the rock formation.

We all got out of the car warily.

"Well, I guess we're on foot," Jorge sighed,

We all stood in a bunch watching the cars as if a crank would leap out at any moment. Then Thomas and Jorge started walking forward so we all slowly followed behind them.

We passed cars with open trunks containing suitcases ripped open and clothes strewn all over the road. Most of the windows had been shattered and on the bonnets of the cars... bullet holes?

Thomas noticed it at the same time as me. He ran his finger over the hole and looked up at the direction it seemed to have come from-

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Bullets started flying down on us.

"Get down! Take cover!" Jorge ordered as Thomas grabbed my arm and pulled me behind the car with him and Jorge. I dropped to the floor, Tom shielding my head with his arm. The others scattered behind other cars The bullets stopped. And Thomas slightly relaxed his position.

"Hey, is everyone okay out of there?" Thomas called.

"We're fine!" Teresa answered back.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt hissed from behind a different car.

"That son of a bitch, Marcus. He led us into an ambush," Jorge growled while zipping his bag open and riffling through it. Thomas shifted his body around and slowly peered over the hood of the car.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I grabbed Thomas and yanked him back down behind the car.

"Well, whoever it is I don't think they like us very much," I remarked.

"What do we do?" Thomas asked Jorge.

"Hold this," He instructed passing a stick of... yep... dynamite, over my body to Thomas. Jorge clutched the detonator.

"We gotta create a diversion. You get ready to chuck it,"

"Chuck it?"  I confirmed, dumbfounded.

"Eleanor just sprint as fast as you can back to the truck," Jorge advised, before yelling out to the others, "Everybody! Get set to sprint back to the truck! And hold your ears!"

He shifted his body and Tom and I did the same. I prepared to run as fast as I could in the opposite direction.

"Ready? One, two-"

Click

We all froze. I knew that sound. I barely breathed.

"Drop it," A woman's voice growled behind us.

None of us moved an inch. Jorge slightly turned his head to look who it was. His eyes widened in shock. Why, I had no idea.

"Now!"

Thomas placed the explosive on the ground. He glanced at me. I swallowed. Jorge still held the detonator frozen in his hand.

"I said drop it!"

Jorge finally placed it on the ground.

"On your feet! Let's go," The woman ordered.

The three of us slowly rose to a standing position with our hands in the air. I finally plucked up the courage to turn around to see our enemy. My eyes widened when I saw who it was.

Two girls.

One brunette and tan skin. One blonde and pale. Probably the same age as me. Holding two guns straight at us. I felt like I recognized her from somewhere, but I couldn't figure it because they both had neck scarves around the bottom half of their faces.

"Let's go! Move! Back up!" She growled while walking forward, pushing us towards the others. Thomas subtly shifted his body closer to mine and I glanced behind my shoulder, seeing the others watching our move.

"You two over here now!" The girl yelled at Minho and Newt. They quickly stood up and put their hands in the air.

"Come on lets go!" The blonde girl followed up,

"Don't be stupid, move!" The first girl bellowed as they rounded us up into a bunch.

They stood frozen putting their guns at us. And then the brunette girl faltered when her eyes laid on...

"Aris?" She gasped while pointing her gun back down to the ground.

We all turned to look at him.

The girl pulled down her scarf revealing the rest of her tan face. Aris's mouth opened in disbelief.

"Oh my god, Harriet?"