───※ ·48· ※───

Start from the beginning

"Have a seat," a foreign voice said to Chisom. "Mr. Johnson will be out soon."

Soon indeed. A few minutes passed, and Damian's uncle hadn't shown up. "Nsikan, I wanted to ask a question."

I looked at Thompson for a split second. He sighed but continued. "Do you think it's wise to involve your grandparents considering the hurt they'd caused your mother?"

"I just thought—"

"It'll be the best decision not involving them." Thompson's voice was low, so it wouldn't distract the others. "I don't think your decision is wise considering what they've done to your mother."

I looked at Damian; he wasn't paying attention. I rubbed my upper arm and whispered. "What if they've learned their lessons?"

"Then they should come look for your mother and not the other way around," Thompson whispered. "I don't think it's the right thing to do. It brings in old wounds."

There was a loud shuffle from Chisom's blouse, and everyone could tell that she'd probably gotten up. "Good day, sir."

"Sit," I looked at Damian for any reaction whatsoever, but he seemed indifferent. "You must have seen what's flying on the internet."

"I don't have an Android phone, sir," she said, stating the obvious.

"Right," we heard footsteps, probably his uncle moving around the room. "Were you there that night? I visited but didn't see you."

"Is he some policeman?"

"Shhh!" We all said, shutting Muller up.

"I escaped, just in case everything went south," Chisom responded.

"You didn't do as I said, so why were you scared?" His uncle questioned her, but Chisom said nothing. "Don't lie, because I know you didn't do as I said."

"We need him to say his crime." Damian mumbled in anger, "Or all this would be useless."

"That's why I ran away." Chisom sounded like she was on the edge of crying. "I didn't do it; how did it happen? I was scared and confused. You also weren't picking up your calls, so I ran."

There was a small pause from Chisom. "How did you do it?" Chisom said softly. "How did you poison Mrs. Godspower without my help?"

I looked at Damian with a smile. We were making progress, but Damian didn't reciprocate. Instead, his frown deepened.

"Your phone," his uncle ordered, the same way Damian had predicted.

"There's nothing on my phone!" Chisom tried to protest.

"You think I'm foolish?" Damian's uncle roared. "Give me that phone!"

There were a few seconds of silence, probably to act like Chisom was hesitating before she handed him her phone. He was probably searching for it before speaking up again.

"I don't trust the likes of anyone; that's why," he said calmly this time. "Now I can speak to you comfortably."

"Sorry to interrupt, but can't we go outside and sit on some pavement?" Chuks questioned. "All this squeezing isn't good for my skin."

"We're literally in hiding," Muller said to him. "What if one of his uncle's men sees Damian?"

It made enough sense for Chuks to stop questioning and then endure.

"How did it happen? How did you get the poison to Mrs. Godspower without me? I know you demanded for me because you require my help, but I can't help you if you don't tell me what I need to know." Chisom said.