}26{ - Phoenix

In the stunned reaction that followed, Livia was aware of one sound.

Snow's laughter.

An awful gurgling cackle accompanied by an eruption of foamy blood when the coughing began.

Livia saw him bend forward, spewing out his life, until the guard blocked him from her sight.

As the gray uniforms began to converge on her, Livia thought of what her brief future as the assassin of Panem's new president held.

The interrogation, probable torture, certain public execution.

Having, yet again, to say her final goodbyes to the handful of people who still maintained a hold on her heart.

The prospect of facing her brothers- she decided.

She raised her left arm and twisted her neck down to rip off the pill on her sleeve.

Instead her teeth sunk into flesh.

She yank her head back in confusion to find myself looking into Peeta's eyes, only now they held her gaze.

Blood ran from the teeth marks on the hand he clamped over her nightlock.

"Let me go!" Livia snarled at him, trying to wrestle her arm from his grasp.

"I can't", he mumbled, "I can't."

As they pulled her away from him, she felt the pocket rip from her sleeve, saw the deep violet pill fall to the ground, watched Cinna's last gift get crunched under a guard's boot.

She transformed into a wild animal, kicking, clawing, biting, doing whatever she could to free herself from this web of hands as the crowd pushed in.

The guards lifted her up above the fray, where she continued to thrash as she was conveyed over the crush of people.

She started screaming for Gale.

She couldn't find him in the throng, but he would know what she wanted.

A good clean shot to end it all.

Only there's no arrow, no bullet.

Was it possible he couldn't see her?

No.

Above them, on the giant screens placed around the City Circle, everyone could watch the whole thing being played out.

He saw, he knew, but he didn't follow through.

Just as she didn't when he was captured.

Sorry excuses for hunters and friends.

Both of them.

She was on her own.

In the mansion, they handcuffed and blindfolded her.

She was half dragged, half carried down long passages, up and down elevators, and deposited on a carpeted floor.

The cuffs were removed and a door slammed closed behind her.