}25{ - Choosing Sides

Real or not real?

She was on fire.

The balls of flame that erupted from the parachutes shot over the barricades, through the snowy air, and landed in the crowd.

Livia was just turning away when one caught her, ran its tongue up the back of her body, and transformed her into something new.

A creature as unquenchable as the sun.

A fire mutt knows only a single sensation: agony.

No sight, no sound, no feeling except the unrelenting burning of flesh.

Perhaps there were periods of unconsciousness, but what can it matter if she couldn't find refuge in them?

She was Cinna's bird, ignited, flying frantically to escape something inescapable.

The feathers of flame that grew from her body.

Beating her wings only fans the blaze.

She consumed herself, but to no end.

Finally, her wings began to falter, she lost height, and gravity pulled her into a foamy sea the color of Finnick's eyes.

She floated on her back, which continued to burn beneath the water, but the agony quieted to pain.

When she was adrift and unable to navigate, that was when they came.

The dead.

The ones she loved flew as birds in the open sky above her.

Soaring, weaving, calling to her to join them.

She wanted so badly to follow them, but the seawater saturated her wings, making it impossible to lift them.

The ones she hated had taken to the water, horrible scaled things that tore her salty flesh with needle teeth.

Biting again and again.

Dragging her beneath the surface.

The small white bird tinged in green dove down, buried his claws in Livia's chest, and tried to keep her afloat, "No, Livia! No! You can't go!"

But the ones she hated were winning, and if he clung to Livia, he would be lost as well, "Let go!"

And finally he did.

Deep in the water, Livia was deserted by all.

There was only the sound of her breathing, the enormous effort it took to draw the water in, push it out of her lungs.

She wanted to stop- to tried to hold her breath, but the sea
forced its way in and out against her will.

"Let me die. Let me follow the others." Livia begged whatever held her there.

There was no response.

Trapped for days, years, centuries maybe.