Chapter 61

Song Dedication: unanswered by Hanniou

"What if we'd met somewhere else? Different time and circumstance. Do you think that we'd be alright?"

I grumbled under my breath as I tried to shove the book I'd checked out of the library into my bag but it. Just. Wouldn't. Budge. With a huff and another aggravated shove, I finally managed to nestle it between my notebook and my small pouch of stationaries.

Finally.

Satisfied, I slung my bag behind my back, and I looked up, but when I did, my foot nearly stumbled over air.

A group of students crowded around me in a semi-circle, all with their phones out and their faces practically dripping with eagerness- and not the good kind. The sinister kind. Like when a salesmen stalked you around the store and made you uncomfortable enough to buy the first thing you could see.

This felt exactly like that.

I plastered on a polite smile and tried a step forward in the off chances they'd make way. They did no such thing. They just stared, bordering creepy until one of them, a girl who was all teeth and dimples, basically leaped the five steps between us, phone in hand and leaned a little too close for my liking.

"Hi! I'm Miranda."

"Uhm, hi?"

She laughed and I cringed at the shrill sound. I didn't even say anything funny.

"It's so great to meet you! These are some of my friends." She gestured to the eerily still people behind her. "We saw you studying in the library and thought we'd say hi."

Like that's not creepy at all.

"Oh, I was just leaving," I said but it came out more of a question than anything.

I was almost tempted to call Bryan out of the shadows but since I wasn't in any sort of physical danger, it was unwarranted. Discomfort was part of the Crown. I just never got used to it.

"We're about to get some lunch. Do you want to join us?"

Miranda was bouncing on her toes at this point, her eyes round and her lips widened to limits I didn't think was possible. My eyes jumped around the secluded hallway, and I didn't really know what I was looking for, but I knew I needed to get away from these borderline stalkers.

I looked to her again when I came up empty. I was pretty hungry but there was no way I was eating with a bunch of strangers.

"Oh, that's okay. I'm not hungry at the moment. I was actually on my way out."

"Oh, where are you going?"

"Uhh," I scrambled for literally anything. "The quad. Yeah. I need to catch up on some reading."