Let's catch up before you move away

(Y/n)'s POV:

I sat down crisscrossed by the fire patting my full belly with a satisfied exhale. "Your cooking never fails to deliver!" the old man lightly laughs my proclaim, "Ohoho~ You're too kind." I shrug then lean back against my hands, "I'm merely speaking the truth."

"So, what's your progress in your venture, young hero?" I lightly sigh whilst staring up at the stars above with a small smile, "It was smooth sailing. Got rid of a few Bokoblins here and there and with Zelda in tow, I got the job done with no problem."

"My dau- Zelda helped you?" his double take earned my glance but I didn't paid much attention since I thought he didn't meant to say those few words. Therefore, I just brush it off with chuckle, "Yep. Much credit to her if I say so myself."

"I see..."

Looking at the fire, I rock myself forward, my hands no longer supporting me and now hovering close enough to feel the warmth of the fire, "I know many called me a hero down there but I don't think that's the case. I'm just simply doing what's right." a soft chuckle brought me to stare at the old man's direction, the soft amber hue coming from the fire bounces off of whatever was visible of the old man's face that held an equally soft smile, "It's more than enough to be called one. Carrying a burden beyond comprehension is not something everyone can accept. I'm sure you felt the same as well in that moment. Thought, the difference lies in the decisions you make. You may not be the hero who wields the master swords, but you're an individual who actively choose to do good, to protect others. That is why in my eyes, you're a hero, dear (y/n)." his words left me awestruck and I genuinely had a hard time reciprocating his words.

"I think the same too, (y/n)." Zelda's voice echoes inside my head. In the end, I weakly smile "...You're too kind..." was all I could muster to the two of them.

We're then engulf by the ambience of the fire and crickets resonating all around in  a way that relaxes us. It lasted for some time until the old man spoke up, though his words came out in a careful manner "Say, have you visit home?" my mood sullen at the query. Bringing my hands away from the fire to rest on my laps my gaze went downwards, staring at the ground. "...No, I haven't. I want to but...I'm unsure if my parents would even want me back, especially after that bold stunt I pulled when they clearly told me not to..."

"Do you regret that choice?" I sigh, "Maybe a little, but I mostly don't." I stare back into the ambers of flames, "Sure it's dangerous out there, but because it forces to react in the face of danger, I learned so many useful skills. Not only that, I became resourceful and learned to make my own earnings. It's a tough way of living, but I felt free..." a wind passes by, sweeping my along with it as well as disturbing the fire but never manages to put it out.

The old man threw a stick into the piles of already burnings ones to keep the flame alive, "Allow me to share a little perspective from an old humble man." he release what seemed to be a tired exhale as he stares off into the distance, "I used to have a daughter. She was similar to you. Full of energy, curious about anything and everything. Due to that side of her, I became overprotective, fearing she might get herself seriously hurt. Without knowing, I restricted her from expressing herself the way she wanted, and she did not need to tell aloud for me to know that she....resented me..." he trails off from there and a moment of pause ensued before he pick up where he left off, "If I had the chance to turn back time, I would've done things differently..." he now turn to face me, "Basically, what I'm saying is...your parents will come to accept that in the end, the choice was yours to make all along. Therefore there's no need to fear rejection. Because even as a parent, we have to accept that one day, our children has to leave the nest and begin life anew....So from me to you, dear (y/n). Stand proud and walk forward with courage just like Link had."