𝐢𝐱. cookies are to die for (literally)

Start from the beginning

That was the thing about Percy, his little actions that made Cassie think he genuinely cared, like offering her support.

"But wait where did you go?" Annabeth asked. "You weren't at camp all year?"

Before Cassie could answer, Tyson spotted land —a long stretch of beach lined with high-rise hotels.

A coast guard cruiser passed on their starboard side, then turned like it wanted a second look.

Cassie guessed it wasn't every day they see a yellow lifeboat with no engine going a hundred knots an hour, manned by four kids.

"That's Virginia Beach!" Annabeth said as they approached the shoreline. "Oh my gods, how did the Princess Andromeda travel so far overnight? That's like-"

"Five hundred and thirty nautical miles," Percy said.
The two girls stared at him in shock.

"How did you know that?" Cassie asked. "You're like a pirate of the Caribbean now."

Percy blushed. "I— I'm not sure. I just kind of said it."

Annabeth thought for a moment. "Percy, what's our position?"

"36 degrees, 44 minutes north, 76 degrees, 2 minutes west," Percy said immediately. Then he shook his head. "Whoa. How did I know that?"

"Because of your dad Poseidon, maybe," Cassie guessed. "You're like a human water google maps."

Percy processed what she had just said, and deemed it as a compliment.

Tyson tapped Percy's shoulder. "Other boat is coming."

Cassie looked back. The coast guard vessel was definitely on their tail now. Its lights were flashing and it was gaining speed.

"We can't let them catch us," Cassie said. "They'll ask too many questions and time is tight."

"Percy keep going into Chesapeake Bay," Annabeth said. "I know a place we can hide."

Percy risked loosening the thermos cap a little more, and a fresh burst of wind sent them rocketing.

The coast guard boat fell farther and farther behind. They didn't slow down until the shores of the bay narrowed on either side, and Cassie realized they'd entered the mouth of a river.

"There," Annabeth said. "Past that sandbar."

They veered into a swampy area choked with marsh grass. Percy beached the lifeboat at the foot of a giant cypress.

"Come on," Annabeth said. "It's just down the bank."

"What is?" Percy asked.

Cassie remembered when Anabeth had told her about the half-blood refugees, she, Luke and Thalia had built while in the run. It was pretty cool, like demigod bases.

After burying the lifeboat with branches, Tyson, Cassie and Percy followed Annabeth along the shore, their feet sinking in red mud.

A snake slithered past her shoe, Cassie definitely didn't scream, and Percy definitely didn't jump, and Annabeth definitely didn't roll her eyes.

"Not a good place," Tyson said. He swatted the mosquitoes that were forming a buffet line on his arm.

After another few minutes, Annabeth said, "Here."

All Cassie saw was a patch of brambles. Then Annabeth moved aside a woven circle of branches, like a door, and Cass realized she was looking into a camouflaged shelter.

Annabeth told them the story behind the shelter.

"So ..." Percy said. "You don't think Luke will look for us here?"