Part 18 // "My life is not a romcom movie."

Max (about a month later)

My suit was drenched with champagne. The best feeling ever.

The trophy of the Azerbeidjan gp was in my hands and I admired it. It never got old this feeling. I could never get tired of it. 

The race before I got second, again. I didn't hate being second, it was just so close to first but yet it felt so far away.

Lavigne placed 5th and I was happy for her. We weren't friends at all but because of all the things Tom and Alice made us do, we learned to accept eachother's presence a little more. Giving her a hug after every race was still weird. I always felt so nervous and when I held her I caught myself enjoying it a bit too much. When she would let go I always had this weird, empty feeling in my stomach and I didn't like it one bit.

But what had to be done, had to be done. So I put the trophy down and walked towards my door. When suddenly someone came into my room. 

"Still not showered?" Daniel asked me as he got in. "No, I gotta do something else first." I answered while trying to get past him. "What's so important?" he wondered and stopped me before I could get out of the room. "It's the hug, right?" he whispered while playfully hitting my shoulder. "It's important to me because it's for my reputation's sake." I explained to him. "Ofcourse, ofcourse. Go Romeo and send Juliette my regards." he said as he sat down on my couch. I just shook my head while laughing at him.

I loved that Daniel could always make me smile. I finally got out of my room and almost ran into Lavigne herself. At first I was confused and then I looked outside I noticed all the cameras that were pointing towards us. 

"Congratulations." Lavigne said to me with a small smile on her face. Her hair was really messy. Why did I still want to touch it? 

"Thanks. You had a great race too." I told her with a smile that was actually genuine. Her face lit up a bit as if she could tell that I meant it. I took a step forward and gently wrapped my arms around her waist. Her arms found their way to my shoulders. 

"You had an amazing race. I mean that." she whispered. Goosebumps spread all over my body within seconds but as soon as her arms unwrapped from my shoulders, the feeling left me. 

She just smiled and waved as she walked back and practically ran away from the cameras. But for some reason I just couldn't believe her. I couldn't believe that she was actually nice and that she would ever compliment me in any way. I couldn't believe that I already felt so cold, couldn't believe myself as I realized it was because I wasn't holding her anymore. I couldn't believe that I actually watched her until her silhouette completely disapeared and only then I walked back to Daniel.

...

Jules

I didn't know what possesed me but I couldn't believe that I did that. I couldn't believe I actually placed 5th, couldn't believe that afterwards I had this exciting feeling in my stomach. I couldn't believe myself as I realized it was because I knew I had to hug him. I couldn't believe that I actually went to him and hugged him. I couldn't believe that I got on my tiptoes to reach his ear and whisper that he did great. And that I really meant it.

I was supposed to dislike him. Just as much as he disliked me. But why did he seem genuine when he told me that I had a good race? And why did that make me feel so good? 

"What's on your mind?" Bianca asked me while we were lying down on Sophia's hotel bed. I silently sighed as I opened my eyes. "I only know him for two month and I can't even decide if I hate him or actually like him." I confessed. Sophia sat down next to me. "I think we've all had that once." she said. "I once met this guy and I thought that I hated his guts but actually I was just trying to hide the fact that I thought he was really attractive." she explained.