Part 8 // "Fix it."

Jules

It was friday morning in Bahrain and today was testing. I already had my race suit on while talking to my engineer. 

"We just want to do a few laps." he told me. I nodded put on my baclava and took a deep breath before putting on my helmet. 

I did a few laps and was asked to come back in the garage. "What is my time?" I asked. "1' 33.760" he answered. "What's the fastest lap?" I wanted to know. "It's Fernando with a 1'32.305." he told me. I nodded to myself and reassured me that I didn't have to be the best at all times. I couldn't be the best when I was just a rookie. 

I drove into the pit and got out of the car. I took my helmet off as soon as I could. While I walked up to my engineer, he gave me a thumbs up. "That was great." he said while patting my back.

I talked with him for a while before walking towards my drivers room. I touched the thirteen on the door before going inside. I did it everytime I walked in, thinking that it would bring good luck. Inside my room I sat down for a while. I knew that at any moment Alice would come in to take me to some interviews. And indeed a few minutes later I heard a knock on my door. I got up and opened the door.

...

Max

I didn't really remember how I got into this situation. After practise Christian wanted to talk to me. He showed me an article that read; 'Lavigne and Verstappen already off on the wrong foot.'

Apparently people heard our conversations. The one's where we clearly weren't friends. He told me to fix it. To go and be nice to her in public. Even though that was the plan since the dinner, it seemed like she was ignoring me ever since. Daniel said that it was just in my head. But I had to fix this, the season barely started and I was already on the front page of some gossip magazines.

So that was why I was walking towards Lavignes drivers room. What was I going to say to her? Did she see the articles too? 

I didn't have time for this. I wanted to shower and go to sleep. But I needed to deal with this and I also had interviews to attend. 

I knocked at her door. Her name was written on it with her number. 

                                                                             Juliette Lavigne                                                                                                                   13

For a second I thought she might've been at an interview but then the door opened. I was greated by a red face with messy hair. Her eyes fell on my face and she frowned confused.

"What are you doing here?" she asked me while opening the door a little more. I tried to smile and make this seem like a normal visit to my friend. "You didn't see the articles?" I wondered. She glared at me while sighing deeply. "No, what articles?" she asked me. 

Great, she didn't know.

"Well, there are some things online. About us beeing unfriendly to eachother." I started. "Christian told me to fix it." I followed. "How are you going to do that?" she asked me. I shrugged. "You promised to pretend to be friends, remember?" I pointed out. She nodded slowly. "But you've been ignoring me ever since." I told her. "When did you even try to talk to me?" she shot back. "You walked away every single time I came to join a conversation. Or was that just a coincidence?" I asked her getting quite annoyed. She just rolled her eyes.