Chapter Three

Iris POV

When a knock sounds on the door, my heart feels as though it might just explode into a million pieces. I don't think my body is strong enough to endure another beating. Antione had left the house hours ago, and I assume the knocking on the door is another one of his 'games'. They always result in me being on the receiving end of yet another beating.

Nevertheless I make my way up the basement stairs, only then realising how fucking hard the person must have knocked for the sound to have been heard all the way in the fucking basement.

The things people will do for their own entertainment-

When I open the door, however my beating heart seems to calm down when I see the faces of two police officers who I don't recognise. Now, this might just be another game of Antione's but I doubt he'd want to involve more people in his stupid revenge plan.

"See! I told you it would be worth coming here! He's already a felon of course he'd also not register that someone else was also living with him!" The one cop with brown hair, green eyes and skin white as snow says excitedly to the stoic cop with black hair, brown eyes and slightly tan skin. Green eyes looks back at me again before wincing and whispering in a tone so loud that it really does not classify as a whisper. "It looks like he didn't treat her very well."

The more stoic cop shoots the excited one a glare before clearing his throat.

"Hello, miss. I'm here to inform you that Antione Dubios has been arrested under charges of possession of an unlicensed firearm and intent to use it. May I ask who you are to him?"

"I… I'm nobody to him, officers do you mind if I go and get my mother before I tell you more? Just… Wait here, okay?" I reply, not really knowing if I should trust them or not.

Before anyone asks, yes I do know where Antione kept the keys to my mother's chains, however it didn't make sense for us to even attempt to escape because the bastard would have caught us and then killed us. As much as I hate to admit it, he is pretty well connected in the underworld.

I run to his room, get the keys and then run to my mother. With the adrenaline coursing through my veins I don't feel any of the injuries that I have.

"Mama! They caught him for something! We can finally go back home!" I exclaim, rushing to put the keys through the locks of the chains.

"Really? How'd you find out sweetheart?" She asks, a genuine smile on her face which was a rare occurrence. She only ever smiled like that anymore when she spoke about our family.

"Some cops came to the door. I haven't told them anything yet." I explain, looking down at her, only now noticing the bruises that haven't healed yet on my mothers beautiful face.

Looking at them brings back all the anger I felt when I'd seen them two weeks ago. Two fucking weeks and they still haven't healed. How fucking badly did he hit her?

Once the chains are finally unlocked, my mother rubs at her sore lips before getting up and holding my hand before leading me up the stairs and to the front door where the two cops are still standing.

The more tan cop grimaces but covers it up quickly when he sees the state my mother was in, while the cop, snow white does a double take. If this were in any other situation I would probably have laughed.

"Ma'am, my name is Officer Kevin Tomlinson and this is my partner Officer Niall Payne. I'm sure your daughter filled you in on what happened. May we ask what the relation between you and Antione is?" The Tan one-Officer Tomlinson says, his tone gentle.

"I'm afraid we have no relationship with Antione, he kidnapped us fourteen years ago." My mother says, her tone though sure and stern holds a note of fear in it. Fear that these cops have no good intentions after all.