Chapter 35 - The Right Dimenson

Start from the beginning

'Well, whoever that someone is, he and Lucian's father are up to whatever Nicaea's planning,' Wren said. 'Why would they know Nicaea's erasing her memory, then?'

Jake leaned back against the wall. 'Fair point. And theory number two?'

'Theory number two,' Wren held up another finger. 'The Perilous, whoever he is, we don't know yet - he could have set the fire. He could've been working for or with Nicaea, and easily set the fire to the school. Why would he do that and not Nicaea? Because anybody's bound to realise it was Nicaea who'd set the fire if she did. Even Tyler would notice that. So as we know the Perilous has been in the school before, there's a possibility that he was the one who'd done it.'

Wren finished her speech; a long silence followed overhead.

'Hang on,' Ladislaya said, frowning, 'wasn't Lucian injured in the fire? He was almost killed. Why would he set the fire if he knew he would be in danger?'

'It's like a game of chess I guess, you have to make some sacrifices for your intention,' Wren said, biting her lip.

Jake looked unsettled. 'I've got an argument against theory number two.'

'Go 'head,' Wren said, gesturing him to speak.

'First of all, the Perilous is also an obvious figure. The school would notice a suspicious floating shadowy figure looming around in the school. And second; he was in the West WIng one time. Students aren't supposed to go up there.'

'And what was he doing up there in the first place before I got in?' Wren said swiftly. 'Planning on how to set the fire.'

Ladislaya and Jake gawked at her.

'You see, the corridor that was lit on fire that day was the corridor really close to the West Wing,' Wren said, standing up and pacing around the room. 'Lucian's in the West Tower. The Perilous dude could've easily slipped in and set the fire.'

'Makes sense,' Ladislaya said.

'Okay, but why would he even set fire to the school in the first place?' Jake interrupted.

Wren shrugged. 'To cause a diversion.'

'Why would he want to cause a diversion?'

'Nicaea Valdis's orders?' Wren said matter-of-factly.

'Let's just say he didn't work for Nicaea, though,' Jake said, 'any other reason why he would want to cause a diversion?'

The three thought about it for a while. 'Then it wasn't him who set the corridor on fire,' Ladislaya concluded. Wren and Jake looked at her. 'What gives?' Jake prompted. 'He could stand solo. No accompanies, no partners. His solo intention might be wanting to kill Wren by himself, under no one's orders.'

'Okay, why is everyone trying to kill me?' Wren snorted. Ladislaya looked at her like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

'Because you're the one known to defeat the Darkest Witch of all time, Carrots,' she sighed. 'We know by now the Perilous wants to kill you too because -'

'Why?'

'Because,' Ladislaya trilled, 'he's a dark force. He probably wants to invade Elryzian and finish off Nicaea.'

'Okay, so if the Perilous wasn't working for or with Nicaea,' crease lines deepend Wren's forehead, 'he'd be a stand solo competing with Nicaea?'

'Exactly,' Ladislaya said. 'My theory,' she added. 'Could be wrong.'

Jake shook his head. 'You know what I think?' he said finally. 'Maybe he's got personal vendetta against Nicaea and he's out for revenge.'