Chapter 34 - The Prophecy, the Past, and The Ordinary World

Start from the beginning

The dragon sneered. 'Not quite. I wouldn't be too sure about the happily ever after. You're in Cixienal Kingdom. Not only for dragons, but there's hardly any other creature here. What are you doing outside the portal anyway?'

Wren told him everything. The dragon listened with rapt attention. Wren was determined to give him as much information as possible, so she could ask him for her help, and the dragon would probably help her.

But the dragon looked grave.

The dragon looked as if it was the end of the world.

Wren didn't get it. She stuck out her chin stubbornly.

'You're quest is coming to an end,' Syrax said, starting to pace up and down so hard that his gigantic feet vibrated the entire location they were in. 'If The Great One knows you are you here, you're dead meat. You'll be torn into pieces.'

'The Great One?' said Wren, astounded. 'Who on earth is The Great One?'

'The Faerie Queen, as you humans call her,' Syrax said obligingly.

Wren exhaled. 'Why would she be here?'

'Oh, she can be anywhere. Isn't she hungry for your death and Argonian's crown?'

A frown started to spread over Wren's face. 'What the hell ... what d'you mean by Argonian's crown?'

Syrax sighed. 'So young and yet, so many burdens.'

'What?'

'I thought you'd be well aware that the Queen is after the crown?' he said swiftly. 'Her intentions her quite clear, Her Majesty.'

'Doesn't she have a kingdom already?' demanded Wren.

The dragon swooped up to her. 'Oh, but that's the thing. There are just some people who already have, but can't wait to have some more. And so they crave. They crave so hard until dark intentions fill their mind.'

Syrax swooped up his magnificent head once more. 'That's also one of the reasons she wants to kill you.'

The world revolved around Wren. She felt like an invisible dagger had swooped into her heart, but it didn't hurt ... it took out all her feelings and left pain ...

'I just want to find out what happened to my parents,' she whispered.

The dragon swooped down lower to her. 'Your parents,' he said softly, 'are dead.'

A lump formed in Wren's throat.

'They aren't,' she said thickly. 'No one knows if they are dead, alive, or held captive.'

'As much as I am sorry to say it,' said the dragon wistfully, 'it is the truth, Princess of Argonian. Different people believe different rumours...there was and has no mystery left behind of their deaths.'

'But there is,' Wren said stubbornly. She was certain of it ... what had the book said about Eana when she first read of her? Conspiracy theories have been held that blood magic might have been conjured the night the King and Queen disappeared...

Evidence that the King's best man, Hartley, has been the one who conducted the murder. Yet, no trace of blood was left behind ... just Hartley's fingerprints on a glass of wine standing on the Queen's bedside table...

The words flashed through Wren's brain as clear as day and night. She hesitated. 'D'you ... d'you happen to know what blood magic is?' she asked tentatively.

The dragon cleared his throat significantly. 'Good Lord.'

'What?'

'I - how do you -'