Chapter 29 - Ever but Never Forever

Start from the beginning

Wren wanted to say 'No one until now,' but she as heck did not want to get in the bad books of the prince, let alone Iridia. She forced another unconvincing smile.

'I thought it was the washroom.'

Ambrose tutted. 'Did you, now? A washroom with a piano and a violin, with such magnificent windows adorned with flowers that a commoner could've mistaken real?'

'We have delicately beautiful windows in the Argonian bathrooms,' Wren answered unthinkingly.

'Well, we do not have pianos and violins in our washrooms in Iridia, Your Highness. I wonder if you do have them in Argonian?'

'Of course.'

Ambrose raised an eyebrow.

'Not. No we don't,' Wren said hastily.

'Tell me what you're doing here, Princess. Does my brother happen to know you're here?'

'Why would he?' Wren said in a convincingly curious tone that seemed to fool Ambrose. A shadow crossed his face before he straightened up.

'A lot of reasons why he would.'

'Well, he doesn't.'

Ambrose brought his face closer to Wren's, his golden hazel eyes narrowed and hinted with the slightest surge of anger in them. 'Tell me what you were doing here, Princess, or you don't want to know what happens next.'

'Don't I?' Wren said, tilting her head to one side.

The prince growled under his breath. 'This is trespassing.'

'This is visiting, Your Highness. Besides, you don't have to worry about what I do here, or anywhere, because it's got nothing to do with you -'

'But it's got something to do with my kingdom,' Ambrose whispered in her ear. 'Doesn't it, Princess? I don't care if I'm not part of your juicy little plan, whatever it is. You put my kingdom in danger, and you're in for it now.'

Wren hardly dared breathe. God, Ambrose was good at digging out the truth.

'I've warned you, Princess Wren,' Ambrose hissed. 'Whatever you've got to do, put Iridia out of it. I don't want to see you here.'

She didn't bother to ask why. She knew why. It was because of this thread she carried around with her - and Nicaea Valdis was the thread. Wherever she went, danger was with her. She couldn't blame Ambrose not wanting to see her face ever again, especially not in his own kingdom. Through the mask of superiority and anger, Wren could still see a flicker of fear in those golden hazel eyes that carried dominance.

Ambrose straightened up, his eyes dark and harsh. With one final look at Wren, he admitted himself out, slamming the door behind him, but in a ... royally kind of way.

Wren stayed rooted on the spot for a few minutes before deciding to roam the room yet again. She wouldn't pretend she didn't know Ambrose was scared ... of her. Technically, she was a walking threat.

Artifacts and expensive jewellery gleamed in the dim light. As beautiful as they looked, none of them was a mirror. Nothing stood out ... no mirror, no stone, nothing. Wren left the room in despair, wondering where else she could roam until a shadowy silhoutte passed her, brushing against her shoulder. Her heart quickened and beat ten times faster when she heard an 'AAAARGHHH!'

'AAAARGHHHH!' shrieked Wren.

'AAAHHH!' screamed the stranger.

There was the familiar figure of Rafe; he looked quite harassed and frightened for his life.