Chapter 27 - Iridia

Start from the beginning

'You?' the security barked at Wren.

'Er -'

'Fake name, fake name,' Rafe muttered in her ear.

'Uh - Wallenby,' Wren said unthinkingly, saying the first word that crossed her mind.

Rafe raised an eyebrow. So did the guard.

'I mean,' Wren corrected herself, 'Wallenby's my surname. My name,' she said loudly, 'is Kelly. Kelly Wallenby.'

Now she'd said her made-up full name out loud, she realised how stupid it sounded. Beside her, Jake snorted.

'And you, mister?' snapped the guard.

'Erm - Emmett Hale,' he said hastily.

'You?' the guard spat at Ladislaya, positively snarling now.

'Penelope,' squeaked Ladislaya.

'Penelope what?'

Ladislaya froze for at least ten seconds.

'Everson, sir,' Rafe said, extremely pleasantly. The guard humphed and gestured for them to go in.'

'That was close,' Jake said. 'Why do we have to give fake names again?'

'I dunno, just in case,' Rafe said. 'Last thing you want to do is land yourself in jail. The security around here's pretty strict. And considering you're not Iridians - it's best to keep a fake profile.'

'What's my name again?' Jake said, frowning.

'Emmett Hale,' prompted Rafe. 'And Wren's Kelly Wallenby. Ladislaya's Penelope Everson.'

'I sound ridiculous,' Ladislaya said, turning a bright red.

'You ever feel stupid about your made-up name, just remember I'm Kelly Wallenby,' Wren told her. That made Ladislaya laugh.

The four of them stayed close to the shadows and crept by the walls. Nobody noticed them - there were just too many people.

'That's Prince Caston,' Rafe said suddenly, looking ahead. Wren turned to see where he was looking at - a dark-haired head bobbed among the crowd.

'Can we ignore him?' Wren said under her breath. Too late. Rafe had already made his way towards Caston. Wren, Jake and Ladislaya stood in the corner while Rafe and Caston fistbumped.

'Cool you came!' Caston said, his eyes lighting up. 'If you see my father, best ignore him - he's still not a fan of -' his eyes darted towards Ladislaya and Wren could have sworn a flicker of recognition - then his eyes landed on Wren.

'Wha - what are you doing here?'

'Keeping a low profile,' said Wren. 'It would really help if you pretended you didn't see us here in the first place.'

Caston looked around him, eyes darting around in fear before leaning in to Wren and hissing, 'You're not supposed to be here.'

'I know I'm not supposed to be here, but - well - I've got things to do,' she hissed back.

'What sort of things?' Caston said at once.

'Things that aren't any of your business,' retorted Wren.

'Top-secret,' Jake added helpfully.

'Classified information,' Ladislaya put in.

'Confidential and restricted,' Wren said pointedly.

'Something you require to be done in Iridia?' Caston questioned testily.

'Not that it's any of your business,' said Wren.

'Why are you even at the ball?'

'Top-secret,' Jake said automatically.

'Classified information,' Ladislaya intoned.

'Confidential and restricted,' Wren recited.

Caston scowled. 'You're supposed to forget we even had this conversation,' Wren told him. 'Forget about our encounter, forget that we're even here. If anyone asks, play dumb. You don't know anything.'

Caston held up his hands. 'You're right. I don't know anything. And I don't want to know anything.'

'Good,' said Wren. 'Now if you may excuse us.'

'How'd the prince of Iridia come to know you?' Rafe whispered.

'We're on the same terms,' Wren said stiffly. They departed, Rafe trudging behind them. 'Where exactly are we going?' he said.

'Blending in with the crowd,' Wren said, lips dry. 'Act normal, everybody. Don't forget to keep a low profile.'

'We're walking in plain sight,' Jake hissed incredulously.

'Best hiding spot is in plain sight right now,' Wren murmured back.

'So you guys are planning to sneak around the castle?' Rafe said in a low voice.

'Well,' Wren said doubtfully, 'not exactly...'

Rafe raised his eyebrows.

'Alright fine, maybe exactly,' Wren huffed. 'But for a good reason. We've got to find that mirror.'

Rafe raised an eyebrow. 'And where, Your Highness, do you think that might be in?'