Chapter 26 - The Upcoming 22nd of March

Zacznij od początku

'Found anything yet?'

'Not yet ... this book technically talks about dark forces and magic. Definitely banned from the school library,' she added.

Their food arrived and they ate in silence, Wren deep in thought. Ladislaya was already halfway through her book - Jake, meanwhile, was chewing on his chicken loudly.

'D'you think the Iridians would actually let us into the ball without knowing who we actually are?' he said in a hushed voice.

Wren swallowed. 'We can use this ancient human trick called lying.'

Ladislaya shut her book.

Wren sighed. 'Come on, what other choice do we have?'

'What do we call ourselves, the Royalty Gang or something?'

'Shh, lower your voice!' whispered Ladislaya. Jake bent in closer.

'Nobody's going to believe that, no. We need to tell them we're royals or something, but we need real proof.'

'I am a royal,' Wren said obligingly.

Jake squinted at her as if it was the first time he had seen her. 'Oh then - then it'll be more believable.'

'Then we need an untrue yet believable reason why Wren is attending an Iridian ball,' Ladislaya said. The door jingled, signaling someone was coming in. Ladislaya lowered her voice. 'Maybe Wren could be here on command.'

'Command by who?' said Jake a little too loudly.

'Sh-shhh!' Wren hissed. 'Uh ... I don't know, a command by Odyssey or something. We can say I had a duty that requires attending to an Iridian ball -'

'Yes, but you can't just invite yourself to a ball,' interrupted Ladislaya. Wren glared.

'Well, I'm trying to think of something, aren't I?' she hissed. 'Besides, has nobody ever invited themselves to a ball before? I think we actually held a chance if I just - oh, er, hi.'

Jake and Ladislaya turned around in their seats immediately to face Rafe Blackthorne. Rafe raised a hand to acknowledge Wren.

'Hey,' he said.

'Who are you?' Jake said at once.

'Rafe. Nice to meet you,' Rafe said, offering a hand which Jake shook. Ladislaya gave him a watery smile. 'Hey Wren. What's up?'

'Nothing!' Wren prompted a little too quickly. 'I mean, it is something, but the something isn't very much of a thing.'

'How's your motel?' Rafe said, slipping into a seat beside Jake.

'Terrible,' Jake prompted him. Rafe grinned apologetically.

'Yeah, I know, it can be pretty bad if the big rooms are occupied.' He raked his hands through his hair, making his tousled hair even messier. 'How are ... things?' he added, glancing over at Wren uncomfortably.

Wren averted her eyes immediately.

'Very good,' announced Jake, taking a sip of his iced chocolate. 'So Rafe. What brings you here?'

'I'm originally an Iridian,' Rafe said. 'Just passing, y'know? The same way you and Miss Rebel here are having a change of scenery.' He winked at Wren making her choke on her tea.

'Speaking of scenery,' she said hastily. 'Have you ever - er - attended an Iridian ball?'

A flicker of bemusement crossed Rafe's face. 'Erm ... no,' he said. 'I don't really attend balls, you know. As I said, I'm just a commoner - no royal lineage and all.'

Wren, Jake and Ladislaya exchanged looks.

'Why?' asked Rafe curiously, sitting up straighter.

'Well,' Ladislaya said cautiously, speaking for the first time since Rafe was here, 'do you think you have ... er - friends of the royal lineage?'

'Sorry to disappoint, but no,' Rafe said flatly, sinking back into his seat. Somehow, the tuft of hair that covered his forehead seemed to lay flatter too.

'No, don't get it the wrong way,' Wren said hastily. 'It's not like we don't want to be friends with you; it's just - well -'

'We have to get into the palace of Iridia,' Jake announced. 'Without making it seem suspicious.'

Wren closed her eyes as Ladislaya groaned under her breath.

Rafe looked alittle brighter now but still suspicious. 'Why?'

'Reasons,' Jake said automatically. Rafe paused.

'Miss Rebel here already's a princess, what can be more convincing?'

'But the problem is, we have to get in without people asking us stuff,' Wren argued. 'If you had a friend in the palace, I was thinking maybe you could bring us in there, so it's less suspicious.'

Rafe seemed to be thinking about it slowly. 'I do have a friend in there,' he said slowly, the front tuft of his hair falling down on his forehead. 'But he didn't really -'

Neither Wren nor Jake nor Ladislaya wasted time waiting for him to speak. All three clambered around him eagerly, abandoning their food.

'Could've told us from the start, Rafe!'

'Great, who is he?'

'D'you think he invited you to the ball -'

'Guys!' Rafe said hastily. 'I'm trying to start something here!'

'Sorry, but hurry!' Wren said impatiently.

Rafe exhaled. 'It's Prince Caston. He's a friend - well, sort of. I met him by the riverbank and we've been kind-of friends ever since.'

'Did he invite you to the ball?' cried Ladislaya.

'The one on the 22nd of March? Yeah, he's been rambling a lot about that.' Rafe propped himself higher on his chair. 'He said I could go if I wanted to - though his father disapproves of me as his friend. His father's pretty strict on who the prince can be friends with ... but the queen's fine with it, though.'

Wren grinned. 'Think you can get us in?'