"I'm going make us something to eat," she said quietly, looking at Riley to get her reaction. The latter paused for a second and something different flickered in her eyes before she masked it with a neural expression, giving Layla a small nod before returning her focus to whatever was playing on TV.

Layla's lips thinned and she stood up and quietly walked to the door but stopped. She turned around and looked at her friend, who also looked at her. So many unsaid words burning to escape. So many buried feelings trying to dig up to the surface. So many drawers of memories refusing to close.

Gathering all her courage, Layla spoke, her voice a little shake at the start until it sounded more confident than she thought it would. Her words threw a glassy curtain over Riley's beautiful black eyes.

"I know you don't want to hear this. I- I know you're scared of hearing it. Scared of acknowledging it but- I know I can treat you better than she can. We both do." With that, she left the room, leaving Riley alone. The latter slowly turned back to the screen, but she couldn't see what was playing on it. Like a river that just bursted, tears streamed down her face and she just let them flow.

......

The days seemed to be moving faster than Max when he sees a hot girl... Or guy. Jennie was once more at Mia's home. They were sitting in her room playing video games in the small TV she keeps in her room. It's Thursday afternoon and both girls had no concrete plans. They had talked about their future plans for when they get their results.

Mia applied at a few colleges and got accepted. Jennie, on the other hand, was still clueless. The most important thing in her head was finding out how her mother really died. She and her father were getting closer. She saw that as good because soon, he'd let down his guard and she'd be able to get access to his office and snoop around for anything useful.

They talked about Riley as well. Mia kept telling Jennie to open her gift and to also reach out to the older woman who, until yesterday, had started trying to contact her again. But Jennie, with her old stubbornness back, refused. She kept telling her friend that she isn't gay and had no interest in being associated with people like Riley. By people, meaning those suspected of being involved in illegal crimes.

Just as they laughed at the silly game they were playing, Mia's bedroom door swinged opened. Both girls looked at the door.

"Daniel! I told you to knock!" Mia scolded as her older brother walked in with a smug look on his face.

"Chill. Mom told me you have company so I came to snoop. Hey Jennie," he spoke. His voice was soft and he looked fairly handsome. Daniel was not much of a hardworking guy. He was 25years and still had zero plans of doing something useful with his life. His father often dragged him along with him whenever he went to work, just to get him acquainted with prominent men incase he finally decided to be useful to himself. He partied, a lot! And he enjoyed bothering his younger sister who seemed to have more of a wise brain than him.

"Hi. How are you?" Jennie greeted him back with a polite smile. She had seen the boy a few times whenever he came to pick up her friend, but they had never really gotten into a deep conversation. Mia once told her that he was interested in her, but she never paid much attention to him because, well, she had Jimmy. And she wasn't into him at all though she did find him weirdly appealing.

"Don't bother with him Jen! He's good," Mia cut in, annoyed for being disturbed in her game. She was so close to winning. Daniel turned to her and made a silly face, which seemed to anger his sister the more.

"You're too stiff. Get a boyfriend," he told her, which made Jennie giggle to herself. Daniel was always to blunt, and he was never serious.

"Get out of my room!" His sister growled at him, standing up and walking to her bed to get a pillow to use in beating him. Sometimes, she felt like she was the older one here, not him.

"Okay okay calm down. There's a house party tomorrow. I want you to come with me so I can use you as an excuse to leave the house to mom. You too Jen," Daniel grinned, proud of his plan. Mia stopped and put down the pillow with a huff. She looked at Jennie and sighed. She had been to parties with her brother before but she always ended up returning to his car out of boredom and pure disgust of all the gruff guys who always tried to sleep with her.

"Do you wanna go Jen?" She asked her friend. Jennie thought about it for a while. She wasn't really a party person. Plus, she didn't think her father would be happy about that even though she could actually just lie to him. Tell him she was having a sleepover at Mia's or something. Lying has become a habit of hers, afterall.

"It'll be fun. I know the owners of the party. They used to be my seniors at school and they threw the wildest of parties. Plus, it can help take your minds away from your results for a while," Daniel pressed, trying to convince them both by bringing up the stress they have over their school results. He didn't need to convince his sister for long. She was grateful for any excuse to be out of the house. She was honestly starting to feel depressed. Jennie bit down on her lower lip and thought about it. A low groan of defeat sounded in her throat.

"Okay okay. I'm in," she said, which earned her a cheer from the boy standing at the door.

"Great! Try not to dress like grandmas please. No guy wants a lame girl. I'll drive us there tomorrow. Be ready by 6." After saying that, he left the room. Mia sighed and walked back to the blanket they laid down in the floor near the TV.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to. I've been to parties with him before. He tends to forget my existence," She softly told Jennie as she sat down next to her. Jennie shrugged.

"We'll see," she said, then they continued playing their game.

_______

Let's hear what y'all think will happen next mates;⁠)