Chapter 19 - What Goes Unexpected

Mulai dari awal

During her first few days in the Palace, Wren had set herself to exploring the palace and the Grand Ballroom was rather grand indeed. It was large, had a little stage up the front and the floor was smooth and polished. When the lights weren't turn on, the atmosphere was dark and quiet and lonely ... just the sort of feel Wren loved but unfortunately, Odyssey had made her swear to never step foot in the ballroom unless she had the permission to do so.

'Marvellous,' said Wren under her breath. 'Why exactly, are you holding a ball?'

'For old times' sake, of course!' cried Odyssey. 'Next Friday. Eight p.m. I've sent the invitations to the kingdom Iridia.'

'Why Iridia?'

'Well, Argonian has been on pretty good terms with Iridia -'

'And?' said Wren, raising an eyebrow.

'And,' pressed Odyssey, 'the ball will help by fostering goodwill and strengthening our alliances.'

'I don't get it,' said Wren pointedly, 'a social gathering just so you can meet the King of Iridia?'

'I've already met him, Wren, as I said, I thought the ball could strengthen our alliances. Besides, who doesn't love a little dancing?'

Wren was staring at her oddly.

'No,' she pronounced slowly.

'No what, Wren?' said Odyssey, pouring herself more tea.

'You ... want me ... to got to your ball,' said Wren, hardly able to believe it.

Odyssey put down her cup. 'The ball, Wren. And of course, I thought you knew that already! You are the princess of Argonian, it is your duty to take part in any kingdom events or gatherings held! Bear that in mind, Wren - we are the hosts of this ceremony next Friday so please, please turn up and behave like -'

'- a princess, I know,' said Wren dully. 'I can be tamed, you know.'

Odyssey turned pink. 'Alright, alright, I'll spare you the lecture. If you want to invite some of your friends, they can come. Just tell me who you're inviting for me to approve, alright?'

'Alright,' said Wren, looking slightly more cheerful. 'Well, I best be off. Goodbye!'

'Also,' said Odyssey, 'I've already invited the poor boy in the hospital wing. I heard there had been a fire in the school recently? Well, not so recent but I've ensured protective charms round the Academy - but anyway, there was this poor boy who got injured -'

'He was bleeding half to death, alright,' said Wren moodily. 'Lucian Ailwood.'

'Yes, yes, that's the one,' said Odyssey, looking delighted. 'I've invited him to the ball so don't worry about sending him an invite again -'

There was a muffled, choking noise in the air and Wren sprang up looking like she'd strangled herself. She choked on her own spit and when she tensed down a little, she bellowed, 'What?'

'Are you alright, Wren?' said Odyssey, looking flustered. 'Oh dear, you haven't choked, have you -'

'What in the name of the devil -'

'Wren!' cried Odyssey angrily.

'Lucian Ailwood?' wheezed Wren, clutching her throat. 'That rotten - spoiled brat? You invited - him?'

Odyssey looked unconcerned. 'Well, he's a friend of yours, isn't he? I took pity on him for no one deserves to be bleeding by a silly fire -'

'Friend of mine?' said Wren, trying her best to control the volume of her voice. Apparently, her brain had only registered those three words. 'Odyssey, if it was the last thing on earth I had to do, I wouldn't do it!'