Chapter 16 - Wren, Jake and L̶a̶d̶i̶s̶l̶a̶y̶a̶ Lucian

Start from the beginning

'Yes, I dare, you insolent little twit,' breathed Jake. 'If Nicaea Valdis is going to kill anyone -'

'If? If?' Lucian let out a hearty laugh. 'She's already going to kill our princess sitting here and there's nothing no one can do about it. She's going to kill her! If it's anyone, it's her!'

Wren pulled Lucian away from Jake's grip and levelled her face to Lucian's. 'Listen,' she said forcefully, 'Nicaea's after me, I know. Don't think I don't. But you know something too, don't you, Lucian?'

'So what if I do?' said Lucian roughly, trying to pull away from her but she clung onto his collar tightly, almost suffocating him.

'So I'm the Princess of Argonian, you prat!' hissed Wren. 'I demand you tell me what you know of Nicaea Valdis and that is an order from your princess!'

Lucian guffawed a laugh that made Wren want to smack his pale face directly.

'You think you can order me around like that?' he sneered. 'No, it doesn't work this way, Princess. You may be blood of a royal line, but I'm not revealing anything I shouldn't reveal to you.'

'It seems the other way around whenever you talk to me,' said Wren loftily.

The slightest tint of red appeared on both Lucian's cheeks. He glowered at her with a clenched jaw. 'Let me go.'

'I will, once you've told me about Nicaea.'

There was silence then -

'Get off me!'

'You prat!' roared Jake, almost rushing Lucian's skull. Crashes and a great deal of scuffing scened behind the curtains and apparently, Matron hadn't heard a single sound. Lucian had grabbed Wren's collar with his free hands and throttled her; Wren had banged her head into his and Jake didn't let this slip - he threw himself on the bed and tried to strangle Lucian's neck but instead, Lucian caught hold of his while holding Wren off with his right arm. While doing so, they broke a flowery vase and water spilled all over the floor. Wren smacked Lucian's cheekbone when she got the chance, and suddenly, she noticed a bright, dark blue glowing signet ring shining on his left finger. His hurt arm.

Wren knew she shouldn't damage him more - he was already in a state bad enough but this was the chance. Excitement rose up in her chest; something was calling her from the ring, there was an instinct, she had to snatch, she had to grab it -

She made a lunge, causing Jake to fall from the bed, grabbed Lucian's wrist and forced the ring out. A yelp of pain came out of Lucian as Wren untangled herself from the bed.

'Oi!' bellowed Lucian.

'Shut up!' snarled Jake.

'What's this, Lucian?' cried Wren, holding up the ring.

'It's mine! Give it back!'

Jake held him to his bed.

Wren suddenly felt like her feet were floating off the ground. For a second, she felt she couldn't breathe, she needed air, oxygen, something - anything - then a flash of light slashed through her sight, a victorious laugh and an agonizing scream that burned her head...

Then the sensation went as fast as it came and Wren found the signet ring still on her palm.

'I'll be holding on to this, Lucian,' she said quietly.

Apparently, Jake had sensed something was wrong. He widened his eyes, trying to send her a signal of some sort but she paid no attention.

'Are you crazy?' shouted Lucian. 'Give it back to me, Wren Carezby!'