Chapter 9 - A Woe so Deep

Start from the beginning

'It's been a while.'

Wren looked up, dazzled. A figure wobbled into her sight, swaying back and forth.

'What the hell?'

A soft laugh above her. She couldn't tell if it was man or woman. She forced herself to sit up straight, but her mind was hurting so much that she had to rest on her arm again.

'Stand up, Wren.'

'I-I can't,' she stammered. Her mind was cold ... as if someone had toppled a bucket of ice-cold water above her. 'Where am I?'

'In where I am.'

'Who are you?' Wren managed, swallowing.

'That's a very good question.'

'What - what is happening ...' her vision swayed to and fro, back and forth. She could hear her heavy breathing, her heart thumping in her chest ... her eyes glowered suddenly as they always did when she was excited or angry...

'I never thought that we'd meet,' the voice said, and Wren heard footsteps. 'Of course, I badly wanted to. But I never really expected that it would be today. Now.

The words echoed in her mind.

Now.

'I cannot tell you how delighted I am,' the voice said. Wren was beginning to suspect he was a male. 'Dear God, am I pleased to see you here with me. Right now! In this room. In this chamber. Alone.' The soft tone showed up again. Footsteps drew closer towards her. Wren blinked as her vision steadied, but it still wasn't that stable.

'My, my, my,' the figure said softly. 'You've grown, Wren.'

'W-we've n-ne-never m-m-met b-before,' Wren said croakily. Her voice was hoarse like she hadn't drank water in days.

The figure laughed his/her soft laugh again. 'How wrong you are Wren,' the figure crooned. 'You've never met me before. But I have met you.'

'Tha-that's not p-possible ...' Wren felt weak as she tried to stand up. She leaned against a solid object - probably a table. Her vision was alright now - it was just her mind racing. A cloaked figure was standing opposite her, a black hood drawn over his face so she couldn't see who he was.

'Who are you?' she asked wearily, steadying herself.

'Haven't you changed?' the figure said.

Wren felt her strength return. She felt normal. She felt okay. She was okay. She was okay. 'I'm alright,' she breathed. 'I'm good.' Slowly, she stood up on her own, letting go of the table. 'Who are you?' she repeated, louder. A shot of pain surged through her, and in less than a second - it was gone.

'I am the Perilous,' the figure whispered.

Chills shivered down Wren's spine. She'd never heard of anything called the Perilous. All she knew was that 'perilous' was an adjective, according to her memory from Drimton Prep School grammar classes.

'Why are you wearing a hood?' Wren managed shakily. 'Why don't you remove it?'

The figure scoffed, smiling. 'You don't want to see me, darling.'

Wren quailed. She was sure by now from the chuckle and voice it was a man. 'Reveal yourself.'

Instead, he spread his arms wide in front of him, his hands filled with ribbons of blackness, emanating an aura of darkness. The ribbons swirled around Wren, wrapping her in their clutch. His intention was clear - he wanted to harm her.