A Withering Gladiolus

TW: Mentions of Abuse, very dark, mentions of depression/loneliness, vomit, alcohol

Kel stood back from the door, looking almost desperate for an answer. Every day, he knocked and Aubrey answered...less and less with time. These past few months, she hasn't come out. She wouldn't even talk to anyone at school, because if she did, it would end in a screaming match.

Kel held his breath, awaiting even a 'no one's home' at this point. Nothing. It was eerily quiet.

Eventually, Kel turned back to the two other boys. "Hey... I'll get Aubrey out, but it's gonna take some time, so maybe we could meet back up at the old hangout spot...?" He asked anxiously.

Sunny gave him a small nod, held Basil's hand, and turned away, walking. Basil flushed slightly and waved to Kel with his free hand.

Kel let out a sigh and pulled out a set of subtly rusted keys. He flicked through until he stopped at a smaller one, with a piece of tape that said 'emergency only!'. Slowly walking back to the door, he lifted it to the knob and stuck it inside after a couple of failed attempts. He shifted it to the side and pushed open the door, revealing a dirty environment.

Trash was all over the floor and there were bottles of- alcohol!? Jesus... Aubrey was getting worse. Kel glanced around and his nose scrunched up as he smelled vomit. He stepped inside and locked the door behind him. He covered his nose and slowly made his way through the shitshow in front of him. The sound of faint breathing could be heard down a hallway that led to a dark room. 

Kel cautiously made his way down, closer to the disgusting smell and breathing.

He made his way into a dimly lit room with a vile scent. Aubrey was sitting against the wall, sleeping with a large bottle of dark liquid-probably more booze. Kel crouched down and softly tapped her head. "Aubrey...? You...passed out again. Aubrey, wake up." He gently shook her as her eyes lidded open. Kel gave her a soft smile and slowly turned on the lights.

He could see the dirty girl now.

Aubrey had black hair with pink highlights at the bottom. She had a small scar on her face under her lip. She was wearing a black tank top crop and a pair of the school's black uniform shorts, with the same symbol on Kel's shirt. The tank top did a good job of defining her athletic and well-built figure-and the bruises around her arms and stomach. She rubbed her eyes and grumbled. "Kel...? What- Why are... you here?"

Kel smiled again and cleared his throat. "Aubrey, go get washed- I have a big surprise! Y-You'll like it, I swear!" He sounded nervous, but determined. The tan boy wasn't leaving unless Aubrey came with. Aubrey grumbled and got up, shakily. The girl slowly walked to the bathroom and shut the door. After a few minutes, Kel could hear the shower being turned on.

He sighed in relief and sat on the dirty couch. All the garbage, vomit, and alcohol didn't bother him in the slightest. All that mattered right now was Aubrey, Sunny, and Basil. Kel didn't even notice he was tearing up- he was just glad.