We Finally Reach the Workshop

Comincia dall'inizio

Theo: It's Theo. Theo Miller.

Maryam: Yeah, sure. Tell that to someone who gives a shit.

Then Maryam and Ethan ran off into the darkness, back the way we'd come.

Timeskip

Annabeth, Rachel, Zoe, Theo, and I were so exhausted we made camp right there in the huge room. I found some scrap wood and we started a fire. Shadows danced off the columns rising around us like trees.

Annabeth: Something was wrong with Luke. Did you notice the way he was acting?

Theo: He looked pretty pleased to me. Like he'd spent a nice fun day torturing heroes.

Annabeth: That's not true! There was something wrong with him. He looked...nervous. He told his monsters to spare me. He wanted to tell me something.

Percy: Probably, "Hi, Annabeth! Sit here with me and watch while I tear your friends and boyfriend apart. It'll be fun!"

Annabeth: You're both impossible.

She sheathed her dagger and looked at Rachel.

Annabeth: So which way now, Sacagawea?

Rachel didn't respond right away. She'd become quieter since the arena. Now, whenever Annabeth made a sarcastic comment, Rachel hardly bothered to answer. She'd burned the tip of a stick in the fire and was using it to draw ash figures on the floor, images of the monsters we'd seen. With a few strokes, she caught the likeness of a dracaena perfectly.

Rachel: We'll follow the path. The brightness on the floor.

Zoe: The brightness that led us straight into a trap?

Percy: Can you both lay off her? She's doing the best she can.

Annabeth: The fire's getting low. I'll go look for some more scraps while you guys talk strategy.

She stood up and marched off into the shadows.

Theo: (to Rachel) I'm sorry about her. She's not usually like this. I'll talk to her.

He got up and followed Annabeth.

Zoe: I'll take first watch.

She got up and marched off in a separate direction.

Rachel drew another figure with her stick—an ashy Antaeus dangling from his chains.

Percy: Theo's right, Annabeth's usually not like this. Neither is Zoe. I don't know what her problem is.

Rachel raised her eyebrows.

Rachel: Are you sure you don't know?

Percy: What do you mean?

Rachel: (mutters) Boys. Totally blind.

Percy: Hey, don't you get on my case, too! Look, I'm sorry I got you involved in this.

Rachel: No, you were right. I can see the path. I can't explain it, but it's really clear.

She pointed toward the other end of the room, into the darkness.

Rachel: The workshop is that way. The heart of the maze. We're very close now. I don't know why the path led through that arena. I—I'm sorry about that. I thought you were going to die.

She sounded like she was close to crying.

Percy: Hey, I'm usually about to die. Don't feel bad.