𝟬𝟬𝟮 duck, duck, goose!

ACHILLES' HEEL            2━━  duck, duck, goose!

━━  duck, duck, goose!

All eyes were trained on Lucy Gray Baird and Jessup Diggs, the male tribute from 12, as she curtsied and pulled him into a bow too. They vanished into the darkness off-stage, and the circus show had finished. Juno could barely believe what had happened. She couldn't even fathom why she hadn't been assigned a tribute like her classmates. She was the odd one out. Why, why, why. Had her grandmother concluded she'd never be able to complete the task at hand? Why, why, why.

Strange, because Volumnia Gaul would never allow for her granddaughter, the face of the family for the new generation, to be left out. If anything, it should've been none other than Coriolanus Snow, whose family didn't even have a pot to piss in, as Dean Highbottom had informed her. But Volumnia had other plans in mind. Testing the young Snow in the assignment and watching him align ideas and complete the task, being driven by desperation and need, or by compassion. It was an interesting show she would be willing to watch.

The reaping had concluded after revealing all the other tributes from the remaining Districts, but Juno couldn't care less about the rest of them. Her questions consumed her mind bit by bit, she barely noticed people rising from their seats to be pulled away by the smell of food from the buffet. Among them, rose Coriolanus. He left without a word to Juno, not that she expected far more than that from him.

It was precisely at that moment that Volumnia's gloved hand pulled at Juno's arm and dragged her away from the eyes of outsiders. Juno hadn't gotten the chance to protest against her doings, but it would've been pointless if she could have anyway. She knew what her grandmother was about to demand — to bribe her into doing, no explanations at all — but she still hoped she could've said anything to stop the bruising on her arm.

She halted to a stop near the biology lab door, a place Juno wished she could abolish and destroy. The smell of formaldehyde triggered her gag reflex every time she came down and looked at all the mutts her grandmother had created and probably mutilated.

Volumnia loosened the grip on her arm. "Hippity, hoppity! How happy are you from one to I-love-you-Nana-you're-the-best, hm?" She smirked, but her smile was stripped from her face when Juno only glared up at her.

"Why?" She spat, "You expected me to be happy, after embarrassing me in front of the entire faculty and student body?" Juno gritted her teeth and ran her hands through her locks desperately. "Why would you do that?"

The elderly woman caressed her cheek gently, while Juno searched for a way to pull away from her poisonous touch. "Oh, darling," She whispered delicately, "I did you a favor." She told, eyes boring into hers with such wrath, that Juno was forced to glance away. "Or would you have preferred to be assigned a weakling from Eleven?"