Chapter 17

Lucas

Just as I'm about to let the words spill from my lips, I remember the look of panic on her face when I suggested we tell Ben the truth. For a second I hesitate, my mind reeling as I question if this is the right thing to do, given the seriousness of the FBI's threats. But then I think of the uncertainty surrounding her husband. The multi-agency covert operation he was a part of when he disappeared and the suspicious way the FBI handled the situation thus far is concerning. There are too many unknowns. Unknowns that could have dire consequences for Embree and the girls and, God forbid, threaten their safety.

And that right there is all the validation I need to proceed.

"We talked, and she filled me in on what's happened since Creed left. She confirmed he left for an undercover assignment three years ago, on April 26th. He never shared mission specifics, so she doesn't know where he went. The last time they spoke was two months later, around the end of June. About ten months later, almost a year to the date from when he left, she got a call from an agent at the FBI informing her Creed hadn't checked in with his handler. She was told it had been a few weeks since he last made contact and was thus presumed missing."

"Two years. Are you serious? He's been missing for two fucking years, and she never said a word. Why? Why the hell would she keep that from us?"

"Because they threatened to arrest her if she didn't keep his status and whereabouts a secret."

"What?"

"My thoughts exactly. She was given no other information. Every month she gets a call from an agent, Robert Kessler, checking to see if she's heard from him and to remind her of the consequences if she were to disclose details of the investigation to anyone outside the bureau. She's tried on various occasions to get answers but has gotten nowhere. She's kept records of the calls and emails she's sent. All were ignored or answered with canned responses. To me, it's all very suspicious."

"What. The. Hell?" Ben tilts his head, looking up as he takes in a breath.

"I'm sure I don't have to say it, but we need to keep a lid on this. No one outside this building can know what she told us. She's agreed to let me help, but there's a real risk here. The legal kind that comes with federal charges and prison time should we make a mistake and get caught. Embree included. You need to consider that before you agree to help us."

To my surprise, he doesn't take any time to consider the risk. Instead, his response is immediate. "She's family. Of course, I'll help, but Christ! Drawing the ire of the FBI..." he sighs. "We're going to take our time on this. Do what we can to mitigate the risks as we go."

"You're right. Ultimately, our goal is to not break any laws. Most of the digging I think I can do myself by cashing in some favors I'm owed. Nevertheless, there may be things I need that are beyond my capabilities. I'm hoping you'll let me tap into your resources if I promise to do my best to keep everything above board."

"Resources. You mean hacking?"

I nod. "Hoping you have someone who can access the government's network without being noticed."

"You want to hack into the FBI? The FBI?" Ben's eyes go wide as he shakes his head like he's having trouble believing what I'm asking.

"Possibly. Along with the CIA, DEA, and maybe even the ATF, since they're probably part of the joint task force. If all else fails, then the Departments of Justice, Defense, or hell, even the Department of State." I smirk as I notice he's breaking out into a sweat. "You know, wherever the investigation leads us."

"God damn." He whistles. "Only Lucas Holt would have the audacity to step into my office years after he disappeared to ask that I help him hack our federal government. Fuck!" He lowers his head, his fists thumping at his forehead a few times before he sighs and reaches for the phone at the center of the table. "Owen, need you in here. And bring Mason."