Chapter 3

Emilia

Finally parked outside Club Solstice, I turn off the ignition and collapse back into my seat. The amount of energy it takes to navigate even the simplest aspects of my life is exhausting and leaves me wishing for the days when I could maneuver through each moment with little effort. That was back when the anticipation of the unknown was a welcomed reprieve from the mundane. Back when uncertainty and anxiety didn't rule my every breath, and I woke each morning looking forward to facing the day ahead. What I wouldn't give for a chance to go back to those simpler times.

Grabbing my purse from the passenger seat, I lean down to slip on the silver heels I'd kicked off on the drive over. Dressing up for girl's night used to be the highlight of my month, but now it's yet another chore. Something else I force myself to endure to keep up the pretense that all is well in my world.

Stepping out of the car, I take a second to adjust the rose gold sheath dress I bought last week, thinking something new and pretty would grant me the motivation to be here. Unfortunately, not even the sequined dress with the lantern sleeves I fell in love with is enough to ease the burden of having to fake my way through this night. I look nice, though. I'd venture to say beautiful if not for the dark circles under my eyes, and the utter look of exhaustion that's taken hold over my body.

Locking the car, I make my way to the crowded entrance. Even from the parking lot, I can hear the bass of the loud music playing inside. Being the only club in a 60-mile radius, Club Solstice is a popular destination that draws large crowds from the surrounding mountain towns.

Gently pushing through the throng of bodies, memories from our time spent here come flooding back. When we were home from college, the girls and I spent most of our free nights here. It looks much the same now as it did back then. With the outdoor lights casting a purple glow over the side of the grey brick exterior, along with similar light displays decorating the inside, the ambiance is trendy in a fun yet sexy kind of way.

As much as I don't feel like being here tonight, I can't deny the wistful affection I feel for the place. Looking around, I weave my way through the crowd, knowing where to find the girls. As expected, Jen, Nic, and Hannah sit at our usual high-top table, the three of them laughing with drinks in their hands.

Jen Holt-Chelsey, Nic Chelsey, Hannah Blake, and I have been friends since elementary school. Our friendship was instantaneous, and the four of us were inseparable from the moment we met. After high school, we attended different colleges but still made time to see one another every chance we could.

It was Jen who first planted the seed that would lead us back to our small town. She made us promise that in the end, we'd all return to start our lives in Ruby Creek. We all laughed and with tear-filled eyes agreed to keep the promise. I remember it was a happy yet somber moment, for at the time we hadn't a clue where the future would lead. Yet twelve years later, here we are, all of us back together again. Jen and I were the first to return four years after high school. Nic and Hannah joined us more recently since their careers required more schooling and time.

"There she is!" My friends erupt in unison when they spot me walking toward them.

The thumping beat of the music vibrates all around us, while the surrounding crowd moves rhythmically to the sounds. It brings back memories of a more carefree time when we'd come to this place and lose ourselves in the music.

If only things were that easy now.

"Where have you been? Nic's already two sheets to the wind." My best friend and adoptive sister Jen squeals as she brings me in for a hug. "I was afraid we'd have to flag her before the life of the party arrived."