Chapter 13

Emilia

"Let's go people, time to eat!" Harold's voice bellows into the room.

Rolling her eyes, Jen links our arms together and leads our little group toward the dining room where everyone is gathering. Along the way, we stop to greet Aunt Rosie and my cousin Annelly, who must have been in the kitchen helping with the food.

As usual, Mom has gone all out. The large rectangular table is set with enough tableware for the 5-course meal she typically serves. The two large flower centerpieces are surrounded by tapered candles, which have already been lit. The dishes, the flowers, the decor, all of it is stark white, which goes with the superficial elegance my mother seems to like.

As I look around at each of the place cards, I'm surprised to find Mom has Lucas sitting next to me in what would normally be Creed's seat. On the other side of Lucas, Harold sits at the head of the table across from my mother. Lucas, me, and the girls take up one side, while Ben, Jen, Annelly, and Aunt Rosie take up the other.

Though this is the home and family I grew up with, I feel like an outsider. This is probably because I haven't attended one of these dinners in over three years.

Mom started hosting these after Jen and I moved back from college. By then, Creed and I were together, so having him come with me ensured Harold would be on his best behavior. That all changed after Mallory was born when Creed's new job required he be away for weeks at a time.

I initially tried to carry on the family tradition, but Harold's constant mocking made it impossible for me to continue. The first few dinners I missed were a huge point of contention between Mom and me, but eventually, she came to accept what the rest of us already knew. Her Sunday dinners would be far more enjoyable if I wasn't there.

"My, it's been a long time since we had a full table. When Creed gets back, we might have to buy a new dining room set, honey." Mom tells Harold with a laugh, while I fidget at the mention of my husband.

"Yeah, well, that's if he comes back," Harold responds casually, as he piles spoonfuls of food onto his plate. "I reckon by now he's found himself a mistress and is out there enjoying a life of leisure." Harold chuckles out loud like the idea of my husband abandoning and being unfaithful to me is something to joke about.

Appalled, I can't help it when my gaze snaps to his. As if pleased with himself, he shoots me a condescending grin.

"Aww... don't you worry your pretty little head, stepdaughter of mine. If he dares show up here, he'll have to deal with me. It's part of my job, you know? What I signed up for when I married your ma. To take you on as my burden, come hell or high water," he leans forward, laying a meaty hand on Lucas's forearm. "And a handful she has been, I tell you. That girl's got more issues than anyone I know," he chuckles.

Pretending I'm not affected by his remark, I turn to check on the girls who, to my relief, are busy coloring on their placemats. Thankfully, they're unaware of the awful things being said about their mom and dad. Taking the opportunity to disengage from the conversation, I reach for their plates and begin to serve them.

As my self-appointed savior, Jen steps in to redirect the spotlight away from me. "Actually, I would look into getting a bigger table anyway because..." she pauses. "We're pregnant!"

The room explodes with elation as everyone stands to offer hugs and congratulatory support to the parents-to-be. Everyone here is aware of their long struggle with infertility, and as such are thrilled by the news.

Still shaken by Harold's comments, it takes a great deal of effort to fake my way through the celebration. It's not until I feel Lucas's hand squeezing mine under the table that I realize he's noticed I'm not okay. As much as I appreciate the gesture, it's a reminder I need to do a better job at masking the effect Harold has on me.