SOMEWHERE DIFFERENT

Start from the beginning

"It's hard to choose since I don't know if it's a girl or a boy. I was thinking of doing a baby boomer nail effect, like a peachy orange fading to white."

The first note of Monday's voice stabbed Kenneth right in the middle of his heart. How he missed her deep, poised voice. She sounded serene, almost happy.

Could it be possible?

Could Monday be happy without him while he was so miserable?

It sounded like it.

"It's Father, I mean Kenneth. He loves snowballs. I also thought I could have white fading into a light shade of blue. Like this, look," Monday turned on her camera.

Dagmar lowered her phone between Kenneth and her. Thus, Kenneth got a glimpse of Monday. They watched Monday get up from the floor and test the colors on the wall. All Kenneth saw was her round stomach poking from under and between her white tank top and black sweatpants.

The shock was immense for Kenneth, who formally forbade himself from imagining how Monday would look carrying his child.

"So what do you think?"

"The creamy-peachy is more vibrant. Go with the peach," Dagmar replied.

"Okay."

"Monday, have you already moved in? I thought you would wait for my return," Dagmar asked.

"Sorry, I was too eager. You know I'm having the baby here. I'm relieved I feel the requirements for a water birth at home. I'm just making sure there's no unforeseen situation."

"Are you doing the works in your house alone?"

"No, a company will paint the other rooms and install the kitchen. I just wished to do the baby's one myself. Luce and Blaze are also helping me on their days off."

"How are you feeling?" Dagmar asked as if she heard the question Kenneth burnt to ask.

"I'm feeling," Monday paused and smiled, "I'm feeling pretty good, actually. I'm kind of euphoric, so I'm getting things done. Luce says it's because I turned on my survival mode. She's convinced it's a coping mechanism that has me playing Bob the Builder. I'm just seeing things day by day and advancing without being a burden for others and myself."

Dagmar looked at Kenneth. The man was the shadow of his soul. "You look great, Dayé," Dagmar said to leave no blanks.

"ㅡOh my, Dagmar, you saw how I was a couple of weeks ago, right? I woke up on Tuesday, and bam, I exploded. Look at these." Monday said, squeezing her breasts like a stress ball. "ㅡI must be a E or a F bonnet right now. I can't fit anything." Kenneth bit his inner lip as he watched Monday jiggle her breasts before saying, "Enough about me. How are things going at the fest? I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"No, you're not. Things are going great. You know how it is. Everyone only has eyes for the lifestyle guru," Dagmar explained and rolled her eyes, forgetting Monday couldn't see her.

A few seconds of silence where Monday wondered whether she should ask about Kenneth or not went past.

"Okay, I won't hold you longer. Your fans must be waiting." Monday said, opting not to. There was no point for her to hear how the man enjoyed himself while she tried to be brave.

"Alright, don't work too hard. Take time to rest."

"I will, bye, Dagmar. Oh and win the bear."

"Bye, Dayé."

Monday hung up.

Dagmar returned her focus to Kenneth. Her blue eyes tried to pierce Kenneth's green stare. "Tell me, Kenneth, are you happy like this?"

No answer was needed from the man; his sorrowful expression said it all.

"Where is she Dagmar?"

"She bought a house at Annecy close to Switzerland. She wants her baby to grow up in a calm environment."

Kenneth nodded as he registered Dagmar's words, "She spoke of home birth. Isn't that dangerous?"

Dagmars' eyes became slits, "What do you want, Kenneth?"

"What do I want?" Kenneth repeated, clenching his fist. "Iㅡ."

"Kenneth, oh goodness gracious, please don't disappear like that. We werrr on the brink of callin' the polizei," Mathilda yelled as she came to join him along with Brad. "What's going on?"

Kenneth didn't answer. Instead, he turned to Brad. "Brad, please cancel all the talks and tell the organizers I won't participate in the judging."

"Kenneth, what'sㅡ."

Kenneth threw his head back and closed his eyes to refocus before redirecting his stare on Mathilda, "Sorry, I can't. I need to be somewhere else right now." He then turned to face Dagmar, "Can I have her address?"

Dagmar unleashed her witches, chuckled, and tilted her head to the side as she said, "hell no. Do you think I'm going to give it to you just like that, and off you'll go to fill my friend's mind up with whatever nonsense by guilt? It's easy for you, men, isn't it? You go in, and then you pull out. I'm sorry, but I won't let you approach Dayé. I just wanted to make you realize what will become the biggest regret of your life."

Monday wasn't in danger, and she didn't know the poker game Dagmar played for her. Dagmar preferred for Kenneth to weigh things on his side one last time, then to see him dive in head first without thinking of the impact of his actions.

She began to walk away, knowing Kenneth had enough information and wouldn't have difficulty finding Monday if it was what he desired.

"What was that about?" Mathilda asked once Dagmar was out of sight.

"It's about Monday and the baby, our baby," Kenneth answered.

"Baby," Mathilda exclaimed, turning to Brad.

"Dayé Yeni is pregnant," Brad announced.

"She's what, Kenneth. Is it true? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't plan or want to be a father for the reasons you know."

Mathilda shook her head at him, "Kenneth, you dumb arse scallywag, please don't tell me you're failing your responsibilities because of that. You're not your father or your mother. You're Kenneth; no diagnosis, including death, should stop you from living and loving the way you desire. On the contrary, it should motivate you to fight."

If, for most people, their accent intensified when furious Mathilda cleared to deliver her opinion. "Kenneth, what do you want?"

"I want her. I need to see her."

"Brad," Mathilda yelled as if the man were in another room.

"Leave it to me," Brad said without even waiting for instructions.