| 71 | The Redblood Line

Start from the beginning

"Nope. The sentries are still out searching."

"So what are you waiting on Alucard for?"

Raphael got defensive. "That's my business."

The Alpha scoffed, and when the elevator doors shut, he sighed and turned to face Raphael. "Tokala's upstairs in one of the rooms."

"Actually he's in one of the lounges. Elias caught him snooping around in the winter study—a place no one is supposed to go," Raphael said as he crossed his arms. "Said he was looking for information about the Greyblood line...for you."

Damon frowned strangely. But he wasn't completely surprised that Tokala would want to help him. "Is Lucian going to break his leg, too?" he asked with a snarl.

Raphael scoffed. "That's for you to decide. This way." He turned around and started walking back the way he'd come.

Damon followed him through the corridor and past Cyrus' office. When they reached a lounge—which was deserted apart from Tokala, who was sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace—Raphael invited Damon to sit next to his Zeta and slumped down in the armchair.

"So?" Raphael mumbled impatiently. "Talk."

The Alpha sat down.

Tokala cleared his throat and said, "I really was just looking for information on Alpha Damon's bloodline."

"That's not what we're here for," Raphael muttered. "Your Alpha wants to know about our bloodline."

The Zeta frowned confusedly. "Oh...okay."

Damon turned to face him. "Did your mother ever teach or tell you about the power that comes with your bloodline?"

Tokala scratched the side of his face and shook his head. "No. To be honest, I didn't even know the wolves in my line could do the kinds of things you do," he said, glancing at Raphael.

"Cyrus already told you that if our power isn't practised and mastered before a certain age, it can become very stubborn and hard to wake up," Raphael said to Damon. He shifted his sights to Tokala. "So, if you want to tap into it, it's going to be near impossible, and it'll take more time than we have here for me to teach you."

"Well...I've managed all my life without it," Tokala said, glancing at Damon. "And if we don't have time, I won't make us stick around so—"

"It could be an incredible asset," Damon interjected. "And with the increasing cadejo threat, we could do with as many upper hands as we can get."

But to Damon's confusion, Tokala looked hesitant.

"You're also quite far down the line," Raphael said. "Our blood doesn't weaken as fast as the Grey line did, but you're going to have a much smaller number of ethos copias, which will limit what you're capable of."

"So it's possible that I'm not even capable of anything at all," Tokala mumbled. "Right?"

"No," Raphael disagreed. "Like I said, our line is stronger. Strămoş Luca is a Numen, and Numen blood is the strongest kind you'll find in any of the worlds. It doesn't weaken easily, and it doesn't dilute when mixed with the blood of other Caeleste, either. You could be the hundredth generation and you'd still have enough of Strămoş Luca's ethos to use the abilities our line can access."

Tokala looked increasingly uncomfortable, and it only just hit Damon why. He knew that Tokala and his mother distanced themselves from the clan of Redbloods they were related to, and talking about it like this must be upsetting him. But Damon wanted what was best for his pack, and as a Zeta, Tokala should want the same.