Alterior Motives

Juniper Cross had seen a lot in her lifetime. She had seen bombs raining down from the heavens when she was just a child. She had seen how the people in the districts collapsed of hunger as their weak legs could no longer hold up the weight of their bodies. She had seen a girl, not much younger than her, enchant killer snakes with her voice and become the victor of the Hunger Games. But none of those things compared to the shock she'd felt when Coriolanus Snow had admitted he'd come to her for help.

She tripped over her own feet a bit before she caught herself and continued dancing. She met his eyes again and though he hid it well she could tell he was amused at her surprise. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I need your opinion on what I should do." He explained.

She frowned. There had to be more to this. Why would he want her opinion on a governmental matter like this? He was after something, she just had to play along to figure it out. "I see. And why do you need my opinion specifically?"

"I've asked others." shrugged Snow "You are a smart woman. I want your input."

She had to keep herself from scoffing. 'Flattery? Honestly, Coryo, you're better than that.'

He lent in closely and spoke with the same serious tone as before. "Can I count on your discretion."

Her eyes were locked on his as she said without hesitating, "Absolutely."

Snow examined her face as if trying to read her expression. Finally he nodded. "Well? Any ideas?"

The brunette bit her lip as she thought aloud, "You need a way to make it known that you have nothing to do with the choosing of the tributes, all the while portraying yourself as more of a caring leader."

Snow's eyes did not leave her face. He could see the wheels turning behind her eyes, the same way they had back at the Academy. It would be a lie if he said she wasn't one of his favorite candidates in this little search of his. With her cunning and cleverness, she could not only be a savvy political move, but a good asset to have by his side. That's why he'd asked her that question, why he'd asked that same question to all the women he'd talked to tonight. This was her test.

Then, he saw a light appear in those same green eyes. He rose a brow silently, asking her to speak what was on her mind.

"A lottery." Juniper answered finally.

He repeated her words, quickly making sense of her answer. She explained it anyways.

"Yes, think about it. The names of all eligible district members, all in a bowl, and a drawing performed right in front of them to lessen speculations of foul play."

Snow thought over her words, "What of the person drawing the names?"

Juniper shrugged. "Have a Capitol representative pick the names. Someone who has no affiliations in the district they're assigned, and has no personal ties to the tributes that are selected."

Snow only stared for a second. That was by far, the best response he'd gotten, even better than Clemensia's.

"Brilliant." He said, his words barely audible.

Juniper smirked. "Always happy to help you, President Snow."

The music came to stop as did their dancing. As they separated, Juniper caught a glint of a brief emotion in Snow's eyes before they settled once more on their detached stare. It was so quick she thought she'd just imagined it.

Until he brought her hand to his lips, and placed a soft kiss on her knuckles. Then she saw it again, a distinct intensity in the man's eyes as he kissed her hand for a second too long. It looked out of place in that cold gaze of his. It was much too blatant an emotion for eyes that rarely showed any.