Front Page

Rantaro decided he hated modelling, rather early on. But there was always one person who helped him and made him look forward to shoots. And of course, the media decides that they may be dating.

And it isn't the point that Rantaro does, in fact, like his co-worker.

Prompt : Fashion

Rantaro hated modelling. He always had and, at the stubborn age of ten, decided he always would. So far, eleven years later, Rantaro was still holding onto that promise and making good work of it. He would never act up on set, or mess around - the people he worked with didn't deserve that, but he never enjoyed it. Anyone who worked with him could tell.

The spark in his eyes had gone long ago, and anything that looked like a shine of happiness was either a camera flash or a front for the photoshoot. No-one wanted photos of a miserable model, unless he was in darker clothing. But recently, something had made him look forward to coming in. Or rather, someone had.

That person's name was Kokichi Oma, someone who always seemed to smile so genuinely - and could light up a room as if it was second nature. Even on shoots, a spark would be in his eyes - and anytime Rantaro could work with him, he ended up enjoying it. Luckily, thanks to a Vouge cover, the two of them had become popular as a duo.

They had both 'infectious and unmatchable energy' said one agent when he expressed he wanted to work with Kokichi again. And there was a part of Rantaro that knew it was because they were decently attractive. Both with similar hair, although Rantaro's was slightly shorter while Kokichi's was longer - just enough for Rantaro to have to wipe out of his eyes, and for stylists to fuss over. And Kokichi was just gorgeous.

Drop dead gorgeous, Rantaro thought. Which was rare for him, considering he worked in the modelling industry. Ranatro wrinkled his nose as he thought that, it probably didn't make much sense. But what he meant was he saw so many people everyday, that most of them tended to blend into the background. Yet Kokichi stood out, mainly for his personality. But Rantaro could still recall that long purple hair with perfect clarity, the cheerful and joyful eyes - ones that said 'I'm happy' and looked almost carefree. Ones he could get lost in so, so easily.

"You know you shouldn't scrunch your nose like that, you'll get wrinkles."

"Ah-" Rantaro was startled out of his thoughts, looking up and smiling as he recognised Kokichi.

"Nishishi, did I startle you?" Kokichi tilted his head slightly, like he always did when he was curious, "Don't worry, I won't tell."

"Really?" Rantaro smiled before moving up slightly, gesturing for Kokichi to sit down with him.

"Well for a price."

"For a price?"
"Well, as much as you are my beloved, I can't do things for free - y'know?"

As Kokichi's eyes wandered around the set, Rantaro realised he was blushing - and was immediately glad Kokichi's eyes were averted. But he still answered easily, "Sure, what did you have in mind?"

"Braid my hair?"

"I-" Rantaro blinked in surprise, still considering the offer, "-Won't you get in trouble?"

"I'll just blame you," Kokichi grinned, moving his head to make eye contact before posing again, as though he was going to leave on a moment's notice.

"Ok, I'll do it. But, where are you going?"

"Here."

Moving quickly, Kokichi went from the bench to sitting cross-legged on the floor, his head at roughly Ranatro's hands. Rantaro could only imagine the sparkling mischief in his eyes as he started to use a sing-song voice, "Weelllll?"

"Just hold still, ok."

Rantaro was practiced in braiding, and the small braid took almost no-time at all, the two of them simply sitting together and enjoying each other's company. Rantaro was aware of the slight blush he had, but he paid it no mind. He just kept focused, not even noticing the camera shots that softly clicked around them - just assuming they were from a different shoot.

He had a rather, well... Rantaro wasn't sure how he felt about it, surprising start in the morning when he realised the latest cover of a magazine he modelled for. The front page photo was the one he and Kokichi modelled in, they were both in purple suits that Kokichi had worn beautifully, but still on the front page was an annoyingly large photo, one of him braiding Kokichi's hair. As he stared at it closer, he noticed some discrepancies. They'd enhanced his blush. He did not normally look like that. And he'd never seen Kokichi's face, but he was fairly sure they had added blush... 'Kichi wouldn't have been blushing like that, right?

But what made him frown was the article it was attached to. One full of conspiracies of them dating. And of course they'd only chosen to interview some of his deranged fan-girls. Beginning to eat, he had to stop himself from chewing on his lip - it was a bad nervous habit, especially when you were in modelling. Once he'd eaten and had some time to think, Rantaro got out his phone to text Kokichi.

Thinking about what to do was hard, but eventually he just settled on 'have you seen the article?'. While going to work, he kept checking. But there was still no response, even when he pulled up to the studio. Of course, he was shooting with Kokichi again today. Kaede and Korekiyo, two of his other friends who'd been involved in scandals in the past, were coming over as well. Looking around, he tried not to glare at the people around him with camera equipment - who had taken yet another relationship and tried to ruin it.

Then, a text came through. One of Kokichi's ones, saying 'Come meet me outside'.

Moving quickly, Rantaro sat up and started walking out - waving away photographers and looking passive-aggressively at the clock. Shutting the double-doors, he almost walked into Kokichi - who was wearing the same grin as always, and was in his purple suit. He still had Rantaro's braid in, and something about that made Rantaro's heart beat faster - to the point he was made aware of it.

"Kokichi, have you... seen the article?"

"Yep, I do have a media presence, Rantaro." Kokichi was still smiling, "You have some pretty devoted fanpeople, y'know."

"I'm so sorry about them, 'Kichi."

"Eh, it was bound to happen one day." Kokichi's shrug almost made it seem like it was no big deal, "Some people have made shipping stuff of us, y'know."

"They-" for some reason words weren't working for Rantaro, "They are?"

"Yeah," Kokichi looked up at Rantaro again, and for the first time Rantaro noticed some blush on his cheeks. A more reserved, if no less genuine smile.

"Do- do you... like it?"

Kokichi's eyes lit up, "Obviously, do you?"

"Yeah, I do."

"There's a reason I wore this suit, actually."

Rantaro looked it up and down again, not finding anything immediately, "What is it?"

"I wanted to look good for the front page."

"The front page?"

"Oh, for when I do this."

There was a more mischievous smile as Kokichi suddenly tilted his head slightly up, while gently bringing Rantaro towards him. It didn't look like they were kissing, yet, and it was giving Rantaro opportunity to move away. But he didn't, of course. Feeling the fireworks, Rantaro lent in - feeling the fireworks explode, and the sheer happiness.