Chapter 9

Me and Michael sat quietly for what seemed like hours before Michaels ring tone brought us both back to reality. As he held the phone to his ears his face dropped. He hung up and before I could ask the oh so obvious question of 'what' he had me on his hip and was making his way to the door. I started to panic and when I panic I don't shut up so I began to bombard the boy with questions. He ignored me as he buckled me in, it didn't seem as though he was trying to ignore my questions deliberately, his mouth kept opening and closing as though he was trying to answer but didn't know what to say. Obviously this made me panic more which lead to the next stage of crying. Michael was just about to start up the engine when he noticed my sniffles.

"Look at me" he said grabbing my face lovingly. I looked up at him just as the first tear slid quickly down my left cheek. "we're gonna be okay, okay!" I nodded as he kissed my forehead and wiped the evidence of my tear off my face.

He turned back to the steering wheel and turned the key that made the car roar to life. Pulling out of the driveway and heading straight for the hospital. When we arrived the car park was entirely full.

"shit" Michael cursed turning out of the hospital and deciding to park on the other side of the road where there were houses.

Michael yanked the keys out of the ignition and jumped out of the car arriving at my side before I'd had chance to pull the door handle. He picked me up again letting me stand up on the floor this time. Before I knew it the car door had been closed and locked, Michael grabbed my hand rubbing his thumb over my knuckles before saying "C'mon". His attempts at being gentle were failing. When we made it into the hospital doors I barely had a chance to catch my breath before he started yanking me by my arm in all different directions. I hadn't realised how big the hospital was until now. After what I'm pretty certain was a thousand corridors we made it to a certain door that made Michael stop in his tracks. He looked at me and I looked at him. We probably would have been frozen in that position if It wasn't for Luke who opened the door in front of us.

I was about to step in when Luke took a step in front of me he signalled Michael to go in with a nod then put his arm around my shoulder directing me to a nearby row of chairs.

"what's happening?"" Can I go in?" "Is Ashton okay?" "Can we both go in?" "I wanna see if he's okay, we need to go in"

"Shhhhhhh" was all Luke said he sat me down and sat next to me his hands delicately enclosing mine." I need you to be really brave right now Ellie, Ashton needs you to be brave, we all do. We're going to go in, me and you but you must stay calm okay baby girl?" I nodded in return jumping out of my seat. He got up and walked us to the door his arms protectively over my shoulders. He took a deep breath before turning the door knob and walking us into the room.

As soon as I saw Ashton my heart broke. He was lying down on the dull hospital bed with a thousand tubes attached to his pale body. Calum was in a chair placed right beside Ashton's body he was holding Ashtons hand but his whole upper body laid lifeless on the bed the only movement from him being his shaky breaths. Michael was sitting silently beside Calum right next to the window with tears in his eyes, he never looked up, he couldn't take his eyes of Ashton and when my attention was brought back to him neither could I.

Luke lead me to the other side of the bed where there was another chair he sat down on it then pulled me into his lap cradling me close. I called his name "Ashton" my voice came out shaky and quiet. "Ashton wake up" I said my voice cracking as tears started to spill over my cheeks.

"Shhhhhh" Luck whispered bringing me into his chest. Ashton was hooked on a heart monitor I hadn't noticed it before but now it was speeding up ever so slightly. I climbed out of Luke's lap and walked over closer to Ashton. My hands automatically held his face. " I love you" I whispered before pecking his cheek his heartbeat continued to beat quickly when I noticed a tear escape Ashtons right eye. Then time stopped Ashtons heartbeat started to slow down beat by beat. Luke's arms pulled me back he cradled me in his chest rocking me back and forth as the agonising slow beeps of the machine echoed throughout the small room. They never seemed to end until the machine stopped pausing I instantly started to sob." Shhhhhh" Luke's tears fell on my face like a waterfall. I wasn't the only one sobbing as a quick glimpse of Calum confirmed that it was he who was sobbing too, Michael tried his best to comfort him but we were all broken right now, all vulnerably crying into each other.

We stayed in that room for hours just crying before the doctors came in to pronounce the death of Ashton Fletcher Irwin. We were then told to go into another room where a nurse came in and told us she would ring us a taxi home, the whole time I stayed like glue to Luke with my eyes closed, I couldn't imagine the world without Ashton how can he be gone?, How can I never see him again, ever? I couldn't stop thinking this and I couldn't stop crying, I want Ashton back. When we arrived home we all walked through the door silently the only noise that came from us was the occasional sniffle Luke sat us both down on the couch where I climbed into his lap and hugged him tightly. "Can you come into the kitchen a minute please Luke?" Michael asked barely loud enough for us to hear. "Ill be right back" Luke said kissing my forehead before joining the boys in the kitchen. I sat left in my own thoughts that caused me to start crying again, when Luke walked back into the room he ran over to the couch and cradled me again rocking me again for the hundredth time today. Calum came in and sat beside us kissing my forehead he carried two plates with sandwiches on them. Michael followed shortly carrying another two plates with another two sandwiches on them, he handed them to Luke.

"We need to eat these Sandwiches and then we can go to bed okay baby" Luke told me. I nodded grabbing the sandwich,I wasn't hungry but I understand that they were just trying to be responsible I took a bite of the sandwich and so did the rest of the boys. About halfway through my sandwich I started to feel extremely ill I tried to move my hands to place the sandwich back on the plate but they wouldn't move. A feeling of extreme tiredness washed over me and before I knew it I had taken my last breath.