Chapter 8

In the days that followed, Nathan found himself navigating through a maze of emotions. Normally, Nathan and Taylor would have an awkward conversation in the hallways or in class. But after the night following the football match, things changed. The awkwardness was replaced by a subtle understanding between him and Taylor. Their interactions became more frequent, almost serendipitous, as if the universe conspired to place them together in various scenarios. Whether it was working on a class project or simply crossing paths in the hallway, Nathan and Taylor discovered themselves engaged in conversations that transcended the surface level.

One afternoon, Nathan decided to pay a visit to the local cafe where his mother worked. Upon entering, his eyes caught sight of Taylor behind the counter, fully immersed in her tasks. Hesitation lingered in the air, but determination pushed him forward. "Hey," Nathan greeted, attempting to keep it casual.

"Hey, Nathan," Taylor responded with a genuine smile. "What can I get you?"

"Just a coffee, please," Nathan replied, taking a seat in front of the counter.

"Coming right up," Taylor said, gracefully maneuvering around the coffee maker. Nathan idly tapped his finger on the counter as he waited for his coffee. When Taylor handed him the steaming cup, she excused herself to attend to another customer.

As Nathan sipped his coffee, his mind wandered to the prospect of asking Taylor to spend time with him outside of the cafe. Ideas swirled in his head, and he contemplated how to bring it up. Taylor returned to the counter, wiping it clean with a towel.

"Yes?" Taylor inquired, looking up at Nathan.

Clearing his throat nervously, Nathan asked, "You know, I was just wondering when you'd be done with work."

"I think I'm out in an hour," Taylor replied, glancing at the clock. Nathan looked genuinely surprised.

"In an hour?" he exclaimed, prompting a laugh from Taylor at his reaction.

"Yeah, why are you asking?" Taylor questioned, genuinely curious as she continued to tidy up the counter.

"I guess you'll see in an hour," Nathan said mysteriously. With that, he reached into his pocket, pulled out some money, and placed it on the table, adding a tip. He walked out of the cafe, leaving Taylor both puzzled and intrigued by the cryptic exchange and the sweet smiley face drawn on the paper he left behind.

As the clock ticked away, Taylor couldn't help but wonder what Nathan had in store for their rendezvous in an hour. The anticipation bubbled within her, making the passing minutes feel like an eternity.

--

The cafe's warm ambiance began to fade as Taylor prepared to leave. "I will go now, Mrs. Mitchell," she said, expressing her gratitude to Nathan's mother. "Alright, sweetheart. Thank you for today! Have a goodnight," Mrs. Mitchell replied, her smile reflecting the genuine warmth of the small establishment.

Taylor headed towards the door, her thoughts a mix of anticipation and uncertainty. Just as she reached the exit, the cafe door swung open, and in walked Nathan. "Nathan! It's nice to see you," she exclaimed, surprised and pleased that he had indeed shown up.

"Well, I said I would. I just had to finish some things," Nathan explained, holding the door open for Taylor. She walked out, and Nathan followed, ready for an evening of surprises.

"So, where are we going?" Taylor asked, her eyes filled with curiosity, a hopeful smile playing on her lips. Nathan, ever the teaser, responded with a mischievous grin. "Well, it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you now." Taylor pouted in mock frustration, but Nathan's laughter only fueled her curiosity.