Chapter Five

—First Person POV.—

My ears flicker at the sound of shouting, voices bouncing off the walls and mixing in a heap that's muffled by the stone walls surrounding.

I squint my eyes open—sight taking a moment to adjust to the darkness around before my gaze flickers downwards at the body laying near my feet.

Shoji shifts, sitting upwards and glancing my way "You hear that too?" His voice murmurs, a slight rasp in his tone from just waking up and causing me to nod in confirmation.

His eyes shift over me for a moment before tilting his head back to look over his shoulder.

I follow his gaze—moving my body a bit from my sitting position to look around his broad stature and catching sight of the shadows passing over the sliver of light peaking through the bottom of the door.

My ears twitch with the muffled shouts and the clank of the doors lock makes me jolt—the noise bursting through the room and echoing off its cold walls.

"They're coming in," Shoji comments, shifting closer and leaning his body over mine—effortlessly covering my body in his shadow "Just stay hidden, it'll be fine." He mutters and I nod.

In the next second, the door slams open and I shrink beneath his multi-arms. Whether it was involuntary or not, Shoji raises his shoulder ever so slightly—further covering my form with the webbing between his limbs.

I hold my breath.

"You idiots seriously placed it in here with a Red of all things!" A newer voice exclaims, rage evident in his tone while the two from before are sputtering after.

Shoji's facing my way, keeping his head down and unmoving when a clang reverts through the bars of the cage.

The person looks over the clipboard—shouting curses to the two before slamming something hard onto the front of the cage "Hey, Red!" He shouts.

Shoji doesn't move, he doesn't even flinch from the thunderous noise and I raise my hands up to cover my mouth, muting my breathing just in case. With a glance up, my eyes meet his and the man bangs on the bars again.

There's a few steps to the left, rounding the corner of the cage "Fuck, I can't even see the Gold—" "I swear if that thing ate the product, you are both going in there next." I catch the same man sneer.

"Red!! Wake the fuck up!"

Another bang and I jump.

Shoji's eyes flicker down to me, brows furrowing before his posture straightens upwards—sitting up slightly from his leaned over position and craning his head to the side.

He doesn't say anything but the sudden silence that passes through the room makes it known that they had seen the movement.

"Good, it's not deaf," The man mutters and there's a sliding sound—a grating churn of metal on wood "Where is the Gold?" He demands, tapping the bars in a jeering manner while Shoji stays unmoving.

"What Gold?" His voice inquires, low and crisp against the stilled air.

"Don't play dumb with me, remember you're the one behind bars," The man hisses before there's another slam—this time, it's followed by the light thrum of tapping on wood, an impatient notion.

"You know what I'm talking about, the product on this paper." He continues and Shoji shifts, looking over the clipboard that had been whacked against the bars for him to see.

The Red before me doesn't answer for a long moment, only staring at the man before I see his forearm shifting—another hand stretched free from the limb to gently brush my hands aside.