❆ PART 3 ❆

CORIOLANUS' POV:

❆ ❆ ❆

"I volunteer."

Everyone shifted in their seats, suddenly interested in the games. My eyes focused on the screen upfront that recorded the Repeaing Ceremony live. The setting turned to District 11, as the cameraman tried to focus the blurry video to the petite, short girl. The voice sounded oddly familiar.

I was in the campus of the Academy room. It held around 400 seats, to which only 27 were occupied. Lucky Flickerman, a person that even I knew was deprived from humanity sat buy the screen, making a phone call: some dinner reservation. The guy was deranged but that made him a good speaker for the Hunger Games. People loved him because he was entertaining. If anyone was good for the job it was him.

The future mentors sat in the front, some writing down the notes, some angry because of the tribute they got to train, some napping. However, most of them were anxious. During the 4th year, 24 of the academy students are chosen and have to go through becoming the mentors for the tributes. Last year proved that audience loved the idea of mentors, so it would be ignorant to not continue it. 

The whole atmosphere reminded me of the 10th Annual Hunger Games. I was in one of those seats exactly a year ago. The thought made me chuckle. I've come a long way since then.

I turned to look at Dr.Gaul sitting next to me. She was the president of the Hunger Games and a woman that offered me everything I needed. Most of my days I spend at the University she paid for, creating the future for myself. Other days, I would repay her by bringing new ideas to the games. After Highbottoms death, I became what someone would call pretty much her second hand. His death was written off as a suicide and I kept it that way. He was a lost cause anyways.

"I volunteer." The girl repeated, louder than before. The crowd made way for her and the cameraman finally zoomed for us to see her.

I kept a firm posture, but I couldn't peel my eyes away from the girl. Her long hair was shining under the afternoon sun, her brown eyes scanning everything in sight. She kept biting her bottom lip as she moved towards the podium, deep in thought. I felt my pulse quicken as I examined her every feature.

It can't be her. No matter, I felt blood coursing through my veins, pumping through my heart. Ticking, ticking, ticking.

I took a large gulp of the cold water, some of it managing to trickle down my chin. I quickly wiped it away with the sleeve of my suit, making it a shade of red darker.

"Is everything ok, Coriolanus?"

My eyes wildly snapped at Dr.Gaul's powerful voice. I reminded myself to stay calm. She is just a random girl.

"Of course," I gave her a charming smile, turning my gaze to the screen.

The girl got on the podium, as the escort congratulated her. I slouched back into the chair, silently praying it wasn't who I thought it was. The chances of being her were less than one percent. Why would she choose to volunteer in the game that wasn't originally created for her?

A deep voice echoed through the screen, as the old man pointed at the volunteered tribute. "She's Isabel Raven."

Isabel.