CHAPTER NINE

Summer of the Shark

The four went to the location and picked up the trucks and were on the road

"Everybody good?" Isabelle asked into the speaker.

"No smokies on my tail." Annie replied.

"Yeah. I'm good." Ruby said.

"You guys, that was so sick. They should totally make a movie about us."

Isabelle looked in the mirror to see someone was following her.

"Guys. There's a cop behind me." Isabelle said.

"Okay. Okay. Just relax." Annie told her.

"That's easy for you to say. You're not the one hauling a truckload of life sentences."

They put the sirens on and Isabelle pulled over.

"Is there a problem, officer?" Isabelle asked.

"Driver's license and registration." She said.

"Just give me a second. I hope I wasn't speeding, I've been rushing around all day."

"Why's that?"

"Um... little bit of a domestic situation. Not a good guy, you know? Had to get out of there. It's one of those." Isabelle said and handed her the papers.

"This your vehicle?"

"I borrowed it from a friend. Look, just say, am I in trouble here?"

"First off, you're driving without a license plate. What's your friends name again?"

"Sorry?" Isabelle asked.

"The friend who loaned you the truck."

"Oh, technically it's more of a friend of a friend."

"I need you to get out of the car." She said and Isabelle did. "You got a key to this lock?"

"Must be one of these." Isabelle said and tried different keys. "That's strange."

The officer went and got some cutters to smash the lock open. She opened the door to reveal the back was empty.

Isabelle then drove to the area to meet Rio.

"I just got pulled over!" She shouted.

"So?" He asked.

"I barely talked myself out of being arrested."

"For driving an empty truck?"

"Why didn't you do it yourself? Why did you need me to bring you an empty truck?" Isabelle asked.

"I had a kid. The feds turned him." Rio told her.

"So, this is a test?"

"I needed to know if he talked. I guess he didn't."

"And now we're back in business."

"You're catching on. Give me the keys." Rio said and held his hand out.

"I have little siblings. How could you do that? If I got arrested they would have no one." Isabelle exclaimed. "If you think you can use me like a worm on a hook so that you don't get caught-"

"I don't got time to hold your hand through this. Give me the keys." Rio said and she threw them at him.

He bent down and picked them up and walked up to her.

"The little siblings you're always talking about? Go home to them. What me and you had is done. Over." Rio told her before going to walk away.

"You can't just do that."

"Do you think I need you? Ain't nothing but a damn charity case to me." Rio said.

"We need the money."

"And I need more of your bitch ass drama like I need a hole in my head. Go home."

"What did you mean when you said you
had a kid? What happened to him? What's that you're always saying about your rotten eggs and how you have to handle em?"

"Go home." Rio said.

"I don't see how you're gonna let me do that. Is it gonna be you? Or do I come home one day and your boys are in my living room?" Isabelle asked.

"Isabelle... go home." Rio said and walked inside the building.