I

Survival is all that
matters.

Dedicated to friendships everywhere; platonic soulmates are indispensable.

"Welcome to Jurassic World."

As Claire carried on with her tour, her voice maintaining the same professional lilt that rang monotone in Adelaide's ears, the girl followed dutifully, careful to blend in with her surroundings. The first sip of her already cold coffee filled her mouth with a bitter tang. She grimaced, but was quick to smoothen her features. One might presume being an assistant is an easy job---run around, fetch papers, act like a respectful little minion and keep your head down while you're at it---but Adelaide knew better. Claire Dearing was truly a force to be reckoned with; the woman had an insanely busy schedule, and that meant her young assistant's was the same. Still, Claire was good enough of a boss to cut any mental complaints short.

Adelaide was the youngest employee of Jurassic World, having just turned seventeen a couple of months ago. That hadn't mattered when she'd been hired, and would still not matter as long as she did her job right. She had beat the countless other people interviewing for the job, most older than her. But her hardworking and ambitious character succeeded at piquing Claire's interest, and that had been enough. With nobody waiting on the continent, Adelaide's home was the park, and she had come to know it like the back of her palm. As she trailed after the beautiful, suit-clad redhead, Adelaide reminisced of her beautiful bungalow on the edge of the forest, which awaited her after the end of each day---she barely contained a wondrous sigh as she mentally pictured her bed, the soft pillows, the warm sheets . . . Adelaide snapped from her reverie and set her sights on Claire once more, taking another discreet sip of her awful coffee. She needed to be on her best behaviour while on the job to keep up with the CEO's expectations. Daydreaming wouldn't be tolerated.

While the other woman presented the lab to a pair of investors, Adelaide scanned through the files strapped to the clipboard in her hand, losing track of time. Sooner than she expected, Claire was at her side, and both strolled down the clean, white halls.

"It looks like I'm finally free to go to the. . ." Though Claire's expression was somewhat joyful, she still trailed off. "My nephews are bound to arrive today, in about . . . oh, only twenty minutes! I've been meaning to ask a favour of you."

Adelaide braced herself. Claire gave orders. She didn't ask favours of people. "Of course."

Claire pressed her lips together. "Can you please look after them for a while? Zara can't stick around the whole day."

Though the request sounded like a complete chore---Adelaide more or less despised kids, and living in a theme park certainly helped make matters worse---Adelaide knew she couldn't refuse. Thus, she nodded slowly, taking in the smile that had begun to stretch Claire's bright red lips.

"Thank you so much, Adelaide. I'll call Zara and tell her to meet you at the Innovation Center."

Without any further delay, she walked off, and Adelaide held her ground until the click-clack of high heels was merely a faint echo. The teenager sighed deeply. She'd never been a fan of spending time around little kids, and now she had to make sure they didn't get lost in the largest park they could've possibly ended in. Adelaide checked her outfit, which resembled Claire's, for any coffee stains---because she was always a klutz---and tied her black hair into a high ponytail, the heat already unbearable despite the early time of day. She wove through thousands of people on her way to the Innovation Center. Each and every one of them was charmed by the park, she could see it in the way their eyes sparkled as they took in their surroundings. Adelaide didn't stop to stare as they did; she'd already had time to explore it whenever Claire wasn't in need of her.