Gear Three

Next Day

My alarm started to go off. I groaned not wanting to get up. It was now 5:30 AM and the sun started to rise. After a while I got up and went to the bathroom when suddenly I got a message from Lando.

L: Good Morning Willz, hope u slept well... I'm arriving at the airport in an hour. See you soon ;)

I smiled at his message. Should I reply? Or should I let the anticipation linger? Why am I even overthinking this?

W: Good Morning Lan! Getting ready now... see you soon x

With a sigh, I hit send and stowed my phone away. I quickly changed into a comfortable outfit, freshened up with a little bit of make up and styled my hair. Sunglasses on, accessories on, shoes on - I was ready. I also tossed some essentials, for the flight, into a mini bag and called an uber to take me to the airport. I took a final glance around my apartment and then decided to head out. I pulled my suitcase with me and locked the door behind me.

The uber was waiting outside and the driver helped me with my suitcase.

———

After a while we arrived at the airport and I decided to text Lando.

W: Hey, I just arrived at the airport. Where are you?"

Now I was waiting for his reply. The airport was filled and all I could hear was announcements of flight delays or openings of gates. My phone pinged.

L: Turn around.

I quickly turned around and saw Lando standing a few meters away from me, smiling at me. As I started to approach him, the warmth of Lando's smile turned the bustling crowd of the airport into a background. The LN4 merch, his personal brand, caught my eye as he stood there, hood over his head, casting a shadow over his face. Surrounded by the chaotic atmosphere, our connection felt calm. Embracing me in a tight hug, I couldn't help but recall him telling me that he wasn't a big fan of hugs. Yet, in that moment, the sincerity of his embrace spoke louder than words, creating a shelter within the airport's whirlwind.

After a while he pulled away. "It's so good to see you again Willz.." Lando's eyes sparkled with genuine happiness. It was as if time had momentarily frozen, allowing us to savour the joy of being together again after 3 months. "I am not going to lie, it's also really great to see you again.." I smile creeped onto my face as these words came out of my mouth. Lando started to guide me towards the gate, where the private jet was parked. I had gotten so used to his presence, that I hardly registered when his arm casually found its place around my shoulders, as we walked through the crowded airport. "We've got some catching up to do." He remarked while taking a look at me. "Well, we've got about 7 hours for that... sound good?" I answered chuckling. "Sounds like heaven." He said playfully

———
As we finally reached the jet, Lando helped me with my suitcase, leaving only the company of the two pilots and us. Settling into the comfortable seats that faced each other, I couldn't contain my realization  "I can't believe this will be my second season in F1..." His smile mirrored my way of thinking as he responded, "There is more to come and I hope that you'll still be my teammate in the foreseeable future." Puzzled I questioned, "So you wouldn't trade me for any other driver?" His thoughtful expression gave way to a smirk, "Well now that you mention it, maybe I'd trade you for Lewis Hamilton." Waiting for my reaction, he received a playful slap on his shoulder as I bursted into laughter. "I would trade you for Lewis too. Who wouldn't want THE Lewis Hamilton as their teammate?" Lewis, an idol since my early days, a legend on the racetrack. I remember sitting in front of the TV watching him race and win so many championships. Speaking of idols, my biggest one is Taylor Swift, a really powerful woman. She thought me to never let anyone define who I am and to just be wild and free.

My thoughts were interrupted by the captain's announcement, letting us know that we would board in 5 minutes. "So tell me what you did over the break." He looked at me interested in what I had to tell. I sat upright "Well, for me the most important part was to spend as much time as possible with my family in Madrid and Paris. We shared dinners together and even threw grill party's. Scarlet and I also caught up multiple times... partying, attending events, sleepover parties. And of course, besides all the socializing , I dedicated a lot of time into training for this season..."
The engines of the plane started to roar and made its way down the runway. Lando leaned in with genuine interest, "Sounds like you had an eventful break... how did the training go?" I leaned back, reflecting on the hours of dedication poured into preparation. "Training was intense, pushing my limits to ensure that I am in perfect condition for this season. I want to be ready for whatever challenges come our way." Lando nodded, a shared understanding passing between us as the anticipation for the upcoming F1 season hung in the air.

As the aircraft ascended into the skies, the hum of the engines provided a backdrop of our conversation. He then continued the conversation. "Tell me about your goals for this season." I observed his question, my goals for this season unfolding in my mind. "Well, I am aiming for podium finishes, I think we all do, and as many victories as possible, if everything goes smoothly. Adapting to each race, one at a time is the key as always. Consistency matters just as much as those moments on the podium." Lando grinned, a shared determination in his eyes. "Hold that smile, I will take a picture of you for my story. Gotta feed the fans, right?" I said grinning back. I made my way over to sit next down to him and took a picture of him smiling and posted it on my story.

"I look so cute!" He said with his contagious laughter

"I look so cute!" He said with his contagious laughter. I couldn't hold back and also started laughing.

After calming down we decided to watch a show together.
"Seriously? You want to watch this again? We already binge-watched it once!" He said groaning. "Hey! You can never get enough of Supernatural! I love that show!" I exclaimed. If I could watch a show over and over again... it would be Supernatural. "Alright, I won't come between you and Jensen Ackles..." He sighed in defeat and I started to play the episode.

———

3 hours later

Three hours went by in a gentle hum of the jet engines and a subtle shift in my consciousness stirred me awake. I felt a comforting pressure against my head. My eyes slowly blinked open as I realized that I must have drifted off to sleep. The plane was still flying and my head was leaned against Lando's shoulder. I carefully lifted my gaze to find Lando sleeping, his head subtly leaning against mine. A soft smile brushed onto my face as I observed the peaceful scenery. Closing my eyes again, a rare sensation washed over me.

I felt safe.

———
To be continued... 🏎️