Gear Two

Present

„Willow DeVille is up for her second season in Formula 1 with McLaren and her teammate Lando Norris. What can we expect from her this season as the only Female Driver?"

„McLaren Rookie Sensation, Willow DeVille. What else has she to offer after signing her 3-year contract?"

„The moment of truth - Can Willow DeVille win
more races this season after her exquisite rookie season last year?"

Those were the headlines for the upcoming season. People had high expectations of me after my rookie season last year. I had won 2 races and delivered good performances for the team, we managed to get 4th Place in the Constructors Championship which was a decent outcome for McLaren and with that, I became one of the best rookies in history. I immediately got offered a 3 year contract with McLaren and signed it with no hesitation. After all, this is what I fought for.. what I always dreamed of. To be a Formula 1 driver and make the female gaze proud by being the only female to drive for an F1 Team. It had gotten a massive backlash, no surprises there, but I didn't back down. Instead I worked day and night and put everything on line to be up there. And I succeeded. But that doesn't mean I can take a breather, it means I have to continue doing what I'm suppose to do. Being the best.

The next season would start in less than two weeks now and I have been training most of the time. I participated in many meetings with my strategists and managers as well as doing online meetings with the McLaren Team and Lando, who became my best friend on the grid. We immediately clicked and worked really well together. He has always been there for me in my worst and best times in racing. I was very lucky to have him as my teammate in my debut season. I wouldn't want anyone else. We also got along outside of the track. We would organise gaming nights together as well as travelling to the races together or just going out for a drink.
We were rivals on the track sure, but after getting out of our cars we would forget about our rivalry and continue being best friends. So yes, he wasn't only my teammate, he was much more than that.

I also got very close with the other drivers on the grid, one of them being Carlos Sainz. He was the first person whom I could open up to and who I could talk to no matter what.. I guess we also connected because we both were Spanish. Other than him I also befriended with Daniel Ricciardo, I mean who doesn't?, Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton, George Russell, Alex Albon and Pierre Gasly.

And then there was Charles Leclerc... When I first met him, he really got on my nerves. He was super annoying and rude, probably the most irritating person I've ever come across. Racing against him became an ongoing challenge, with each lap struggling for dominance. I don't know why, but he seemed to have a problem with me right from the start. He would make my life a living hell on the track. Despite my attempts to tolerate his presence, the mere thought of being anywhere near him became unbearable. I am so looking forward to beat him in every single race this season.

———

My phone started to ring. Lando. I picked up quickly. "Hey Willz.. how are you doin'? I wanted to ask if we should fly out for the first race together, like we usually do?" I smiled to myself... The first race of the season would be in Bahrain, that would mean we would fly for many hours. "Sure Lan, you know how easily I get bored." I made my way out to my balcony with the most beautiful view of Paris and the Eiffel Tower. "Well start packing then, we'll meet tomorrow morning at 8." My eyes opened wide. "Wait wait wait, tomorrow?! And you're in Paris?!" I heard a giggle over the phone. "No I am not in Paris right now but I will be in the morning waiting for you at the airport, so start packing Willz." I leaned back against the fence of my balcony. "Why tomorrow? We still have a bit of time..." I asked in a confused tone. "You really want me to say it, don't you?" There was a short pause... "Well ok, it's because I missed you.." he said in a playful tone. I chuckled. "You missed me? Aww how sweet of you! Well I didn't miss you at all" he started to laugh softly. "Not even a bit? Come on just admit it, you missed me a lot, I know u did.." I rolled my eyes playfully. "Well maybe just a little bit but that's about it." He laughed again. "That's enough for me, even though I know how big of a liar you are... Well anyways, I won't keep you from packing now. I'll see you in the morning Willz.." I looked at the Eiffel Tower where the sun started to set. "See you in the morning Lan.." and with that I hung up.
I stayed a little bit longer taking in the beautiful view and decided to take a picture to post it on my story.

———

After a while I started to pack my stuff. I was kinda excited to go back to racing and travelling around the world again. I tried to make sure to pack the most important things and tried to not overpack but I failed, because I ended up with a huge filled up suitcase. I sighed in defeat and just pulled the zipper close.

After that I decided to call Scarlet to let her know I am already leaving for the race. She immediately picked up. "Hola mi amor, how are you?" I sat down on my couch. "Hola amor, voy a volar a Bahrain para la carrera de mañana.." she gasped slightly "What?! you are leaving tomorrow??? Why didn't you tell me before???" I sighed out "Well I also got that information 30 minutes ago. Lando wanted to surprise me and called me to let me know that we are flying to Bahrain tomorrow morning.." I started to play with my fingernails. "Lando huh? He missed you THAT much, huh?," she answered cheekily. I rolled my eyes at her. "Don't start with that again... we had that talk, Scar.." In last year's season, she started to tease me by making assumptions about me and Lando. She was convinced that there was more than a friendship and after seeing how annoyed I got at that, she would just play it off by saying 'it's just a joke'..

"I know I know, but I am still sensing... something. And I stand by that." I sigh out of frustration. "We are just teammates and really good friends, and that won't change... So, will you come to the first race of the new season?" I tried to change the topic but she caught me red handed. "Topic change... fine, fine. I was just messing with you anyway. And yes of course I'll be coming, I wouldn't miss it. Just not tomorrow but maybe in three or four days? I still have some business meeting to attend to." I laid back against the couch, happy that she would be there. "Great! God, I am so excited for this season. I have this feeling that it's going to be amazing..." She laughed happily "Of course it's going to be amazing! I can't wait to see you beat everyone's asses!" That made me giggle. I want to perform even better than last year and only focus on that. "Okay, I need to sleep now but I'll see you soon! And yes, I'll text you as soon as I arrive tomorrow.." "You better! Now go get ur sleep. Buenas Noches, amor." "Buenas Noches.." and with that I hung up and made my way to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a long day up in the air and luckily I will have Lando as company.

Before sleeping I jumped into the shower real quick, brushed my teeth and did my skincare routine.
I waltzed into bed and immediately drifted off to sleep...

———
That was just the beginning! Lemme know what u think!
To be continued... 🏎️