XXVI. The Hollowed Memories

Start from the beginning

Glenn, gearing up, declares, "I'll go work on the cage outside," grabbing his supplies along with a rifle as he prepares to head out.

Merle's brashness cuts through the atmosphere, his voice echoing against the walls of the room. "What we should be doing is loading some of this firepower in a truck and paying a visit to the Governor. We know where he is right now."

Glenn squints at Merle, clearly taken aback. "Are you suggesting that we just go in and kill him?"

Merle, leaning casually against the wall, nods without hesitation. "Yeah, I am."

Michonne arches an eyebrow, her skepticism evident. "We told Rick and Daryl that we'd stay put."

"I've changed my mind, sweetheart. Being on the sideline with my brother out there ain't sitting right with me," Merle asserts, his gaze surveying the group before settling on Madeleine. "I know it shouldn't be sitting right with you either, Grimes."

Madeleine rolls her eyes at Merle's comment, dismissing his provocation as she remains focused on cleaning the remaining guns.

"The three of them are right in the middle of it. No idea we're coming. They could get taken hostage or killed. A thousand things could go wrong." Glenn's concern heightens the tension in the room as he tries to leave with Carl. However, Merle's voice halts their departure.

"And they will," Merle asserts, unyielding in his stance.

Carl shoots a glare at Merle, defending his father, "My dad can take care of himself."

"Sorry, son, but your dad's head could be on a pike real soon," Merle retorts sharply, his words stirring a fire within Madeleine. In a swift and furious motion, she grabs one of the guns she had been assembling, slamming her hands on the table before swiftly retrieving her sword, pointing it threateningly at Merle's throat.

"Will I have to cut your throat out for you to learn when to shut the hell up?!" Madeleine's voice cuts through the tension, her gaze locked fiercely on Merle, who cautiously raises his hands in surrender, knowing well that she won't back down from a confrontation. The room falls silent, charged with an intense standoff between the two, neither willing to concede ground.

"We both know you wouldn't do that, especially now." Merle's smirk remains defiant, challenging Madeleine's resolve as she tilts her head, unmoved by his bravado.

"Yet, I can see you pissing your pants, Merle," she retorts sharply, intensifying the pressure of the sword against his throat. "You're not going anywhere. Make a move, and I won't hesitate."

Maggie steps in, backing up her friend. "If you're gonna live here with us, it's gonna be on our terms. If Michonne can do it, why can't you?" she interjects, taking a firm stand against Merle's defiance.

"Because it's my brother out there, that's why. What's the matter with y'all?" Merle retorts, his gaze shifting between Madeleine and Maggie, feeling the pressure of the situation. Madeleine suddenly steps aside, perplexing Merle. "I'm going. I don't need permission," he asserts, trying to reclaim control of the situation.

As Merle strides towards the gun, Glenn steps in front of it, determined not to allow the man to execute his reckless plan. Meanwhile, Madeleine places her sword down and casually rolls up her sleeve, catching Michonne's amused gaze.

"I'm not gonna let you put them in danger," Glenn asserts firmly, his tone laced with determination as he stands his ground against Merle.

"Nut up already, boy. This guy cops a feel of your woman, and you pussy out like this? Get out of my way," Merle's voice escalates, his aggression growing as he looms over Glenn in a threatening manner.