Chapter 4

I woke up the next day with a slight headache recollecting what had happened last night. Even after that, I didn't know who to blame. My parents or myself. I started to get ready for school tiredly, my eyes slightly closed due to stress.

After doing the necessities, I looked at my reflection in the mirror like it's going to change anything. My eyes puffy after crying all night, I sigh at my reflection, the bags under my eyes seeming to get worse with each passing day.

I then head to my fridge, eating a leftover pancake I had left days before. I pack my bag and head out of my door.

The hallway lights hit me and I rubbed my eyes to adjust to it. Just as I was about to start my journey to school, someone tapped me on the shoulder and I turned in their direction.

"Good mor- Are you okay?" Helen asked with worry in her tone. She got closer to me, invading my personal space once again.

"I'm fine. There's nothing to be worried about," I noted and she shuts my mouth with her finger.

"But you're not alright. Your eyes are puffy and there are bangs under them. I mean... they were there before but they look worse! Also, did you... cry last night?" she asked, hitting the mark beautifully.

Shutting up, I looked away, thinking of an appropriate answer to give her.

"So you did cry. Do you need a hug or someone to talk to?" she suggested, warmth in her eyes. At that moment here, from the thousands of glass walls I could see standing together in a row, one of them shattered into pieces. I stood there in shock, wondering why it had shattered.

"Eric?" Helen called out, bringing me back from my train of thoughts. "Is there something wrong?"

"No. There isn't," I answered, fiddling with my bag's shoulder straps.

"...Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Very sure?"

"...Yes."

"Very very sure?"

"...Yes?"

"I knew it! There is something wrong," she concluded and I stood there, feeling cheated for being manipulated.

"You don't... need to tell me what happened or whatever is going on but... a hug?" she asked, her arms stretched out towards me.

"...You really seem to like hugs," I said and her eyes widened as she flushed, turning away right after.

"I... I don't," she protested as she gazed at the hallway, her arms crossed.

We stood there in an awkward silence and I checked the time on my phone. It was getting late but it wasn't like it was a big of a deal, or like anyone cared.

"We should head to school," she said abruptly, taking my hand and leading me there. Just as I was about to ask her to slow down, I saw that her ear was red as quickly pulled me down the apartment building's steps. For some reason, warmth filled my heart, another glass wall breaking. I didn't know what they represented but each glass breaking removed a burden off my shoulders but it made me a bit expectant for what would come next with her around.

(Glass walls left: 998)                              

                                       •••

Just as my teacher almost entered  my class, I ran in, just in the nick of time. Unfortunately, all eyes were on me and I quietly sat in my seat, covering my face with my hoodie and laying on my table.

'Not only can be an embarrassment to this school and society, he can't even be on time for class'

'Yeah. I mean... just look at him! He looks like he lives in a pigsty'