CHAPTER 3

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a golden glow across the dense foliage as Adebimpe and her companions continued their walk through the forest. The path was winding and narrow, hidden among the bushes, but they pressed on, their sneakers damp from the wet undergrowth. A sense of adventure hung in the air, and despite their exhaustion, they trudged forward, eager to see where the path would lead.

Finally, they reached a relatively dry clearing, and with tired smiles, they settled on the grass. Adebimpe, ever resourceful, used her hands to clear a spot for them to rest. It was then that the chill of the evening settled in, and they realized they needed warmth. Adebimpe reached into her bag, a relic from her camping days with friends in the US, and pulled out a lighter. With the flick of a wrist, she ignited a fire, its flames dancing in the gathering darkness.

"I'm sorry I caused this," Tola's voice broke, tears glistening in her eyes. Adebimpe pulled her close, offering comfort. "It's just an adventure," she whispered, her voice soft. "If we get captured, promise me you won't eat anything they give you until I say so!"

A sudden unease settled upon Adebimpe as she heard distant voices and the rhythmic beat of drums. Hastily, she extinguished the fire, silencing Tola's muffled sobs with her hand. Gripping a hot stick from the dying embers, she steeled herself against the unknown sounds. But before they could react, darkness consumed them as they were struck on the head, losing consciousness.

When Adebimpe woke, she found herself surrounded by women, their hands gentle as they bathed her. Panic gripped her heart until she realized they were not captives; they were being cared for. Nearby, she saw Tola, unconscious but breathing. Relief washed over her. The women treated them with care, examining their hair, nails, and bodies. Adebimpe sensed there was more to this situation than met the eye.

Soon, they were all ushered into a room, where Adebimpe counted seven of them, including herself. The others were young, the youngest being a twelve-year-old girl named Ebun. It was odd; they were all females. A sense of foreboding settled over Adebimpe as she wondered how they had all ended up in this mysterious place.

Alone in the room, they huddled together, fear and confusion etched on their faces. Adebimpe, trying to stay strong for the others, moved around the room, trying to make sense of their situation. Through the curtains, she caught a glimpse of a vehicle approaching, carrying a group of men. Instinctively, she shielded the younger girls and prepared for their arrival.

As the door swung open, Adebimpe stepped forward, positioning herself between the girls and the newcomers. The men instructed them to follow, surprisingly not displaying any aggression. Adebimpe led the way, her heart pounding in her chest. They walked in silence, the men forming a protective barrier around them. Adebimpe could feel their eyes on her, but she refused to let fear overtake her.

Finally, they were led to a room and told to stay there until the next day. The door closed, plunging the room into darkness. One of the girls managed to find the light switch, revealing seven neatly arranged beds. Adebimpe organized the girls, making sure they felt safe. The youngest, Ebun, looked up at her with wide eyes. "Auntie, I can't sleep," she said, her voice trembling.

Adebimpe smiled, gathering the girls around her. "Gather close, my dears. I have a beautiful story to tell you, but first, let's introduce ourselves. I'll start." She shared her name and age, and the girls followed suit. Ebun, Joke, Tínú, Tola, Rodiat, and Abike, each with a unique story and a flicker of hope in their eyes.

With the introductions done, Adebimpe began her tale, weaving a story of courage, friendship, and resilience. The girls listened, captivated by her words, their worries momentarily forgotten. In that dark room, Adebimpe became their beacon of light, guiding them through the night with the power of storytelling and the strength of unity. And as she finished her story, she knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, they would face them together, bonded by the shared experience of survival and the magic of a story well told.