Chapter 18- Callie

Start from the beginning

"What kind of error?"

"Accounting," James admits.

"Show me," Hamilton commands.

"I really think this would be better discussed in my office sir. It appears to be a delicate matter," James whispers.

"Show me. I don't want to have to repeat myself Mr. Hughes."

James gulps and tugs at the collar of his shirt. "Certainly sir," he dips his head in acquiescence. He blinks and swallows before he turns the monitor to show him the balance. A single cent above the minimum we require to open an account.

"Pull up my wife's account."

"Sir-," James starts.

"I know the damn protocol. I'm an authorized user and I put all the money in it. Pull up my wife's account Hughes."

At this point Wells and the other man are pressing closer, clearly picking up on the situation and having a hurried discussion between themselves.

"Damien it might be prudent to take this somewhere," he pauses after a pointed look around the sparsely populated lobby. "Quieter," the other man says.

"Fine. Wells and Kento, I don't want anyone leaving until this is sorted out. Understood?"

"Yes sir," they respond.

Mr. Hamilton follows behind a sweating, fidgeting James to his office where even the distance does little to hide the harsh slam of the door.

"What was that? Are you okay?" Nicole rushes to my side.

"I have no clue and I have a feeling I'm not supposed to talk about it," I tell her quickly when the woman, Wells comes toward my window.

"Ms. Danvers, I'm sure I don't have to remind you that sharing a member's details is a fireable offense as well as a litigious one." She may be smiling, but it's a shark's smile full of teeth ready to chomp down at a moment's notice.

"No worries. Just a coworker checking in on me. Nothing to worry about," I assure her.

"I'm sure," she continues to watch me like a hawk as her partner surveys the lobby, discreetly making his way over to our new security guard and whispering something into his ear. Whatever it is causes him to sit up straighter and watch the doors a little bit sharper.

"What was that all about? Did his wife spend too much on a shopping trip?" Jaxson jokes with Nate. It's so at odds from the way he normally talks. He sounds like some ordinary frat guy that I see way too much of out and about at the bars on the weekend. It may be an act, but he wears it so well, only someone who knows what lies beneath could see the edges.

"Beats me, man. It's above my paygrade," he shrugs. He's new, started just after I got back from my extended leave. I don't know too much about him since I tend to only really talk to Nicole here, but he seems nice enough. The kind of guy who shows up on time, does his job, and leaves. Model employee really.

"Anyways, I appreciate the help. You have a good day," Jaxson tells him before he heads for the door.

Sam or maybe it's Sean I'm not quite sure, our security guard stops him with a hand on his shoulder and some quietly whispered words. I catch the quick tick of tension, before he loosens up. "Guess I'll just take a seat until this all wraps up. Do you mind if I use my phone?"

After a quick nod from Kento, Sam/Sean tells him it's fine. Jaxson isn't the only customer in the bank, but he is the only one who's tried to leave. One of the loan officers is still meeting with a middle age woman in his office.

"WELL FIGURE IT OUT!" Hamilton shouts through the door, before he opens it and rushes out red faced and his hair rumpled.

"Sir," Wells tries to calm him but he's beyond reason. Whatever the guys did and it has to have been them, has clearly rattled him and he's not able to remember where he is and contain it.

"I want everyone present on a list. In fact, everyone in and out of this building all week," he rattles off instructions, the rest too low for me to hear. His hazel eyes scan the room, narrowing on me for a moment as he grinds his teeth hard enough to crack, before dismissing me and scrutinizing the rest of the potential suspects.

He storms out of the building with Wells and Kento scrambling behind after some brief words to James and Sam/Sean.

"What the hell was that?" Nicole finally asks once they leave.

"I have no idea, but I have a feeling that wasn't the end of whatever it was? I can't put myself on the line and tell you, but it's likely to get a lot worse before it gets better. Sharon is going to look like Mother Teresa when this is over."

Heathens & Hold Ups (Book 2 of the Heathens Duet)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara