Our future

Dublin, Ireland
Year 2026
I was sitting at a wooden table in our large, bright country-style kitchen. James and I, after my turning, traveled around the country for a long time and when he showed me Ireland, the places where he grew up and spent his human life, I fell in love. So he and I settled in a suburb of Dublin, bought a bright wooden house with a garden, and decided to devote time to just being together and enjoying a quiet life away from noisy London.
- Are you ready? Are we leaving? - The vampire asked, coming down the stairs with bags in his hands.
- Yes, minute. - I nodded and lowered my head down, paying attention to our brown Irish setter, who had been lying at my feet all this time. - We're taking Charlie with us, right?
- Edward will kill us for this. - The man chuckled. - It's Genevieve's first Christmas at the castle, he's freaking out.
- I never would have thought that Edward would become such an overprotective father. - I got up from my chair and went to the sink to wash the cup from which I had just drunk coffee. - But she's 3, three-year-olds are supposed to communicate with animals, fall, fill cones. That's the fun part of growing up.
- You tell him that. - James smiled, folding his arms across his chest. - But I don't want to worry about Charlie for the next holidays either.
- I agree, I also don't trust any of our neighbors here. - I rolled my eyes.
- You need to finally get over this fight with Mrs. Sullivan about her daisies.-  He shook his head.
- Charlie didn't dig up her weeds, - I interrupted Jamie, - like he needs her stinking flower beds.
- Anyway, - the vampire continued, - we'll be waiting for you in the car, - Charlie, boy, let's go. - He patted his knee and whistled, so that the dog ran after him to the exit of the house.
I sighed and took another look at our lovely family nest, and then, pulling on a wool coat and scarf, I left the house, closing the heavy white door behind me.
As we drove along the snowy rural roads of Ireland, and soft flakes of snow were swirling in the air, I thought about how much had happened in these 3 years, so crazy.
Jamie said that the family used to gather at most once every 50 years, and now, surprisingly, Collen himself invited everyone to spend Christmas together. And everyone gladly accepted this invitation. I don't think, though, that I was the glue of this family, rather Genevieve, whom everyone couldn't wait to see again. However, the fact remains that everything has changed a lot, and these changes are undoubtedly aimed for the better.
So I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as our car drove to the family castle with a dog in the back seat and a bunch of gifts intended for our dear vampires and witches, who, although sometimes annoying James and me, but we are still waiting to meet them for a family Christmas dinner.