8

They both stepped into a coffee shop, Walt was exhausted from the curse and Alhaitham quickly dumped his load of books onto the table. Calling for some drinks, the two boys started poring over the books one by one.

Walt mumbled as he concentrated on the books, reading them and digesting the depictions of ancient mural arts. His tongue stuck out unconsciously when he was concentrating, and Anubis laughed to himself. That was so cute.

Anubis, however, knowing the current period of the New Egypt era, skimmed through his side of the books more quickly, before finally coming across some curious little wordings in the older books.

Walt seemed to have spotted something, too. "Ra was the King of Deities and the Father of all Creation. He created his children, then a boat that lit up both the Duat and the human land, going around in an endless cycle. Gods accompanied him in his boat... they helped him defend the sun-ship! Why aren't there any gods on the ship anymore?"

The air around them shifted. "Good lead, Walt. Just keep going. You're uncovering the Old Kingdom."

Discovering the true nature of these gods—that was what made the gods regain power, and that was what Walt had set out to do. The gods will finally be restored to their original selves, free from being senile and wandering the world, pointless.

"The original five gods were Set, Osiris, Isis, Nephthys, and my brother Horus," Anubis said quietly, and the air around them morphed again. A gasp around them, and the breeze was slightly picking up, and as Walt peeked out the window, he saw the sun slowly casting an angle from Cairo.

"Yes!" Walt cheered. "Let's go!"

Anubis flashed Walt a smile, and Walt smiled back.

Both of them looked down at their books, and kept reading, flipping, reading.

The sun slowly started to move again, setting into the horizon and casting Cair's sky with a beautiful hue of red.

"Bastet was the goddess of cats, no—she used to be a fierce lioness warrior goddess of the sun, worshiped throughout most of ancient Egyptian history. She was a fierce defender of the Pharaoh in Lower Egypt, and symbolizes the Eye of Ra, of whom she fiercely protected and defended from the snake Apep."

They carried on, and as Anubis and Walt corrected all the wrongs in the Ancient Egypt civilization's New Kingdom, they undid Set's change to the world and slowly unwound the forgotten gods from the grasp of insanity.

From the Duat, thousands of gods opened their eyes for the first time in millennia and whispered one name: Walt Stone. Walt Stone has brought us back.

Anubis looked at the human beside him, still intently on righting the wrong. He was undoing the curse. Anubis' gaze turned sad. If he could undo a millennia-old curse, why can't the gods undo the mortal's curse of death?

It was so unfair.

The mortal had two more days to live. Anubis will never see him again after two days. The desire to pursue the human of his dreams had to be controlled. After two days, the mortal will be no more.

Curse the world that cruelly dangled Walt Stone right in front of him, and took him away just as cruelly.

"Anubis," Walt said, getting Anubis' attention. "This is about you."

"Oh, what does it say?" Anubis' palms were getting sweaty. He was nervous. He was going to finally uncover his real identity.

"You are the Lord of the Underworld, which is now Osiris' position of power," Walt nodded; Anubis had told him this back in that dingy temple where they first met. "Your original name was depicted like this... Inpu. Inpu."