7

That afternoon, Walt and Anubis booked flights to Cairo International Airport. It was costly, even when they looked at the couple's deal. The whole flight took 14 hours, and will probably waste them another day, but the most pressing thing had been Anubis' identity.

Traveling overseas would require verification and strict border measures, especially going through the customs and border protections. Well, crap.

"Anubis, do you have any teleportation spell that you can use to get us to Cairo's Egyptian Museum?"

"I would think so, yes." Anubis nodded, and Walt mentally cursed himself for not thinking of that alternative in the first place.

"Let me go get my belongings, and we'll head to the Museum."

"However, my way is to go through the Duat, and time warps differently there. We would waste up to two days while traveling there while in the Duat we'll only spend two hours." Anubis warned.

Well, Walt's reasoning was that buying air tickets would require another few days of forging fake identification documents for Anubis, and gods help Walt if the American system is as slow and inefficient as a snail, which is usually is. There might not even be a guarantee that Anubis would get his documents in time. Al in all, that amount of time would either surpass or be equivalent to going through the Duat. Plus, it costs less.

"No worries. Going through the Duat it is."

"Wouldn't you want to spend two of your remaining four days on Earth actually on Earth?" Anubis asked, puzzled.

"Well, helping humanity is more important than that. Besides, I still have another two days, no?"

"How are humans so selfless?" Anubis muttered under his breath, but Walt caught it.

"Then it seems that you still have a lot to learn, Lord Anubis."

After some mild packing and throwing on his white fur jacket, Walt followed Anubis into the living room. He took one last, long look at his home, and followed Anubis through a black portal.

Trekking through the Duat was a very strange sensation. The place was sometimes cold and sometimes hot, the sludgy material sometimes clinging onto him and sometimes bouncing off Walt. The two-hour walk felt like an eternity and a blink of an eye at the same time. As he saw beings of all shapes and sizes bound about the space, he felt so small.

He was a mere mortal, and all these things that resided here were immortal gods and monsters.

Walt looked at Anubis, and...

He jumped back by a few feet at seeing the god, quickly wrestling his hand out of the god's hands.

The god was back into the form Walt had originally encountered when he had first met him in his dreams. The large jackal head extended from a golden Egyptian collar, looking at him with golden-brown eyes. Its eyes were slightly widened in shock, and Walt felt a voice quickly trickling into his mind.

Please do not be afraid, it is still I, Lord Anubis said in his brain, his voice bouncing across the walls of his body and reverberating with his soul.

Walt studied the god. The large golden collar had been studded with rubies and jewels, making it glint slightly as Lord Anubis shifted his body. The god's torso was bare and uncovered, showing firm pectorals and rock-hard abs that looked firm enough to grate cheese. Trailing his eyes further down, the abs tapered into a tantalizing V-shape that disappeared into the pristine-white and long loin skirt, hiding the rest of the view from sight.

Walt was thankful. He wasn't sure he could digest any more of that.

It was probably the Duat messing with his brain.