PART SIXTEEN; THE DEFINITION

Começar do início

Just as she finished preparing her bathing area, she began to undress.

Her hands froze when remembering her sudden and unexpected visitor, turning back to Muzan to see that he was indeed still staring at her with that impassive expression of his, commenting, "If you wouldn't mind, you've come at a time that's slightly inconvenient. Could you please wait for me out in the main room?"

Muzan's brows raised slightly.

His eyes then dropped to trace the curve of her jaw and the shape of her lips, slowly trailing down her body hidden by her kimono.

With that, he then left.

(Y/N) let out a slow breath as she allowed her muscles to unwind when no longer under his domineering stare, her fingers trembling ever so slightly just from the effect of it. Cleansing herself before stepping into the tub, she graciously slid the warm water over her skin, wishing for that moment of warmth to last forever.

But of course, it ended.

And always too soon, it ended.

After changing into respectable nightwear and draining the tub, (Y/N) walked into the main room where she lit a fire and boiled a kettle of water which she then used to make herself a cup of steaming tea. Sitting down opposite of Muzan who watched her as soon as she stepped out of the washroom, she then took a slow sip, allowing the warmth of the drink to seep into her bones.

"You haven't offered me a cup," Muzan's eyes then narrowed. "Neither did you the last time."

"Wouldn't offering have been more disrespectful?" The corners of her lips curved upward so faintly, as if he had just told her something amusing. "After all, as man-eating demons who live off of flesh and blood, you have no need for human drink or food, do you?"

Muzan didn't answer.

He merely continued staring at her.

I've already deemed her observant... but it's more than that, I realize.

I wish to uncover what that 'more' is.

No...

I need to.

"I know you say I have no need to question your actions, but I truly wish to know... why did you come back?" (Y/N) murmured after taking another sip of tea, slowly setting the cup back down.

"I just felt a need to."

"I should feel honored then, correct?"

"If you feel honored, prostrate yourself before me," Muzan stated emotionlessly.

"I'm not sure that I should."

    "I'll kill you, then."

    "If you wanted to kill me, I'm sure you would have already done so by now," (Y/N) took the last sip of her tea before standing up to rinse and wash the dish before placing it back in its usual spot, turning back to return to the main room only to almost bump into Muzan's chest, her gaze heavily sliding upwards until it met his. "Or... is that why you've come again? What made you feel the need to?"

    "No... it's quite the opposite as you've said," he started, his voice wrapping around her and tightening its grip.

    Her eyes widened.

    She turned away, swallowing thickly.

    Muzan continued to walk forward whilst she took steps backs, this furthering until she hit a wall. He placed his hands on either side of her head, leaning in so close that she would have been able to feel his breath against her cheek if he did breathe.

    "Tell me, (L/N)(Y/N)..." he whispered, his red eyes flashing in the shadows of the room. "Why do you define 'eternity' like that?"

    (Y/N) didn't look at him.

    In fact, it was like she hadn't acknowledged his question at all, staying silent for several minutes.

    Then, "Why I define 'eternity' in that way? It's a simple answer, isn't it? No matter what family one's born in... no matter the circumstances... love, peace, connection, and warmth... everything I've said the previous night is exactly what they yearn for. Nothing could ever break that, I told you. When you were human, you wished for peace correct?"

"Hah?" His brows crooked.

"Peace in your situation... correct? Peace of mind? The knowledge of being healthy... it's peaceful, isn't it?" She smiled, sliding her gaze to the corner of her eyes to meet his own. "Yet... you've never known that, have you?"

Muzan didn't have to answer.

(Y/N) already knew.

From his twitching features, from his crumbling facade, she could see it so clearly.

つづく | to be continued