23. ashley

The week following Olivia's news, everything falls apart. Charlie checks out emotionally; she doesn't eat, rarely sleeps, and concentrates on work and spending time with Clark. She doesn't talk to Addison. And honestly? Addison doesn't speak to her.

They meet with Olivia a lot, and they try to work out a plan.

"How long do we have?" Addison asks her. "Realistically, how long do we have before a hearing?"

"It could take months, but...Ashely has been doing well. She's got her place for herself, she's attended rehab, and...if they can, they always like to reunite kids with their parents."

"We're his parents," Charlie says; she's leaning against the kitchen counter, anxiously biting her fingernails. Addison looks up at her wife from her place at the kitchen table. "We're his moms." Charlie points between her and Addison.

"Charlie-" Her wife starts.

"No, he's ours. He is our son. She doesn't just get to swoop in and take him; I won't let her." Charlie says sternly, walking out the front door and letting it slam.

She goes to the hospital; she needs to distract herself. Charlie is sitting in the resident's room, staring at the picture of Addison, her and the boys that sit just inside.

"Charlie?" Someone calls out, and she meets with her other favourite redhead.

"Hi, April," She smiles.

"I'm sorry about Clark," She says in a small voice.

"Oh...who told you?"

"Alex. He's worried about you."

"Who isn't." Charlie gets changed into her scrubs, ready to work. "She's not going to take him. I won't let her take him." She walks over to her friend. "I need to work, I need to do something." She walks straight past April and out into the hospital.

"Have you thought of what you want to do?" Her friend calls to her as she tries to catch her up.

"Huh?" Charlie asks her, confused.

"Well, Jackson has his mice, Meredith has her mom's diaries," April explains, and to be honest, she doesn't know what she's going to do either.

"Oh...I haven't...I don't know. I can't think about that right now."

"That's okay; maybe talk to Dr Robbins? She'll be able to help."

Charlie puts herself into her work; she helps with Arizona and thinks about what she can do to help with her boards. She finds herself standing in front of the vending machine, staring into space. She didn't know how long she'd been standing there, but then she felt someone standing beside her.

"Do you want some M&M's?" A voice says; Charlie turns and sees Meredith's smiling face. She turns to the vending machine and looks over the brightly coloured packets inside.