Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Ch. 9

'Makes you feel like an android, doesn't it?' Daniel's voice echoed in my head. As Frank and I stumbled back into Lyons' lobby, I leaned on him for support but knew I couldn't. Despite what happened, Daniel was right. I willingly listened, knowing the danger, and brought Frank with me. Daniel treated me as others treat the androids, like disposable trash.

"We've got to tell Vicky and the others." Frank led me to the elevators. "We'll get Reggie to round up our support and—"

"You can." I let Frank press the call button as I patted the sore of my lip. "I got to head up."

"Why?" Frank leaned against the wall as the elevator dinged. Its doors opened, and the light from the interior spread over our feet.

I rolled my shoulders back and hissed through the pain. When I looked at him, I ignored the data and signs appearing in my vision. I focused on him, and the plan I needed to execute. "You got to Bridge, tell Vicky and Reggie. I'm going to talk to Katherine."

Frank's brows creased together. "You're going to tell her about Daniel?"

I nodded.

"And what's that going to do?" he asked as he stepped into the elevator.

Reaching my arm through the open door, I tapped Frank's pin into the panel, then selected the Bridge's floor. We locked eyes as I leaned against the metal and kept it from closing. "We have approval for the data upload, but after today, I know we need more than that, and she's going to give it to us."

"What's that?" Frank asked.

I stepped away and allowed the doors the chance to close. "More androids."

***

As the elevator door opened I stepped into Katherine's large office. The 50th floor was warmer than I remembered. The colors changed; bright, welcoming, and paired with a cream doormat embroidered with a small rose in the corner. With my hand rubbing the soreness out of my neck, I glanced at it, then looked ahead, at her desk, its chair, and the small bouquet of lilies. Were those real? If someone had the money, it could be.

"Elijah?" Katherine's voice was followed by the sound of her heels. She appeared from the connected room. There was a group of papers in her hands. Based on my computers, they were city documents, pending permits, and communications from law enforcement. Would she tell me any of this?

We locked eyes and she smiled. With one finger, she brushed away her fiery hair. "Never thought I'd see you come up here again."

"Why wouldn't I?" I walked over to her desk, sitting on the mahogany seat and its pink, chair pillow. It was comfortable and perfect for my sore muscles. Taking advantage of the comfort, I leaned back and closed my eyes.

Suddenly, she gasped. As her footsteps quickened, I peered at her with one eye. Her temperature spiked and her cheeks reddened. She leaned against her desk with fists. "What happened to you?" She motioned at my current state.

I smirked, passing my hand over my cheek. "A change of plans," I said.

"Plans? Is this—"

Groaning, I pushed up from the arms of the chair and relaxed my hands on my knees. When I rolled my head around my shoulder, my neck cracked. My skin prickled with electricity. My computers displayed my injuries in percentages. Sixty-five percent. Broken, and sore, but the only thing that hurt was my pride. "Look," I sighed, "Daniel came to see me."

"Daniel?" Katherine dropped into the seat across from me. Her hands nervously folded in front of her before she pointed at my face. "Did he do that?"

When I nodded, she sucked her teeth and forced her head into her hands. "Fuck," she whispered.