Dolores gulped, her gaze flitting between her mentor and the snake. It watched her back, the blackness of its eyes cold against her skin. This was a test, like many before, and she could not afford to falter.

"Tick-tick-tock. Time is wasting."

Its coils writhed, hissing and spitting, but it was locked in place so it could not launch itself in an attack. The serpent's long body twisted from side to side as she slowly, quietly stepped towards it. Her eyes burned into its eyes, a silent stare off that made her stomach churn.

The panels beneath her hand flashed a glowing aquamarine, signaling that all equipment was ready. The small glass vial gleaned beneath the fluorescent lab lights. The lid popped, clattering down on the pale interior testing ground, while the fog poured. It floated down, seeping within the cracks of its scales and enveloping the serpent till all she saw was smoke within the container. In her blindness, the cage clattered.

Dr. Gaul stood watching, the faintest hint of a smile on her lips with satisfaction. "Now."Its mouth opened wide, releasing a piercing screech, revealing its sharp, needle-like teeth. Its body thrashed against its confinement, and a sickening crack echoed as the vial shattered in a million pieces.

The sound of shattering glass ricocheted off the walls, and Dolores stumbled backwards, gripping the panel tightly to steady herself. The snake continued to writhe and flail, its body twisting and scales scraping against the cage like nails on a chalkboard. The serpent's teeth snapped and bit, and its voice rose to a hiss of pain. Its body spasmed, twisting and turning as the chemical burned within. Then, the serpent began to grow. Bones popped and the cage shook as the creature grew larger, burnished scales cracking and splintering into dull gray.

"Shh, watch," Dr. Gaul hummed. "You forget, Ms. Imber, for a creation to be successful, the creator must be able to destroy their own creation— to control it."

A cold sweat ran down Dolores' back, but she refused to shiver. Her hands gripped the edge of the control panel so hard that she could feel her nails cutting into the skin.

"No," Dolores whispered, unable to tear her eyes away. "Stop." Her hands fumbled for the controls, pressing on the gray button and drawing the chemical away, then moving to the typing pad to input commands. The drain opened from down below, swallowing both her creation and the thrashing creature within darkness. A bead of sweat rolled down her head.

She could feel her own rapid heartbeat as she stumbled back, her mind still reeling from what she just witnessed. God, it was cruel. But not for her mentor.

"Weapons are made for war, Mr. Imber. Not puppies and kittens," Dr. Gaul said blankly.

"War against what?" She snapped. "Panem is at peace!" Why must more suffer? She couldn't even picture the sight of molten flesh on the skin and the shrieks elicited from a human mouth.

"The very existence of peace is a lie. It is only the calm that exists before the onslaught of chaos. It is only the silence before the war. You know the very truth, Ms. Imber. For there to be light, there must be darkness. For there to be dark, there must be light. War and peace. Pain and pleasure. They are two sides of the same coin— You..." Her eyes darkened as she stalked right up to her, "Speak without thinking."

"Yet when there is peace, it should be cherished— not exploited."

"Have you stopped to think of why there is peace?"Dolores stood stock still as Dr. Gaul leaned in close, the smell of smoke and blood wafting from her skin almost suffocating her. "War is a necessity. Peace cannot be had without a weapon that creates destruction." Her expression was like stone, and she stood straight, her shoulders thrown back and her eyes focused ahead. "Tell me... do dogs bite, Ms. Imber?"