The State Fair

Zacznij od początku

Miguel pointed out the rides he had gone on the previous year when his papi took him and Mary.

Since Ben wasn't much of a rider, he waited outside the exit gate with the wagon he brought along, not only to carry the stuff they'll probably accumulate, but in case a kid got tired of walking.

It felt sad a woman in her late fifties was more than willing to get on the rides instead of him. But, even as a kid, Ben never enjoyed the thrill of going on a ride that shoots a person into the air or in any direction. Not even the small rides kids for Miguel's age. He was shocked to find out Miguel did not mind them. To be fair, the kid also enjoyed doing flips on the trampoline.

Kimmy refused to get on any and waited with Ben while Grandma Joy took Miguel. Unless Grandma Joy couldn't fit. Then they all watched while the boy pretended to drive Volkswagen Bug racers in a circle.

Both adults also kept taking their phones out to snag photos, mostly of Miguel, who waved every time he came around.

Grandma Joy tried to insist Kimmy ride something, promising the rides didn't go that fast or crazy. Eventually, Kimmy agreed to go on the carousel.

There wasn't much of a line for the carousel, so they only had to wait for the current group of riders to finish. Kimmy walked over with her hands in her shorts pockets while Miguel sprinted past her. She climbed aboard and took a lap before choosing the lion.

Grandma Joy helped Miguel climb onto one of the horses that moved, a few rows behind the lion.

The ride started slow before picking up a steady pace.

Kimmy held onto the golden metal pole despite the lion not moving like the other animals. She stole a look out at Ben waving when she came around the first time. He snagged a picture the second time around.

Kimmy lost count of how many times the carousel spun around while playing music before it came to a slow halt.

Once the carousel stopped, she slid down from the lion on her stomach, trying to be as careful as possible and followed the small crowd through the exit where Ben was waiting for them.

"Was that fun?" he asked with a smile and offered to show her the photo he had got of her.

Kimmy glanced at the screen. Seeing photos or looking in the mirror at herself was usually something she tended to avoid.

When Grandma Joy and Miguel joined them, Ben suggested getting something to eat since some of the food booths were close by. Grandma Joy took Miguel to get fry bread his papi used to order a lot for them while Ben helped Kimmy figure out what she wanted.

Ben took things slow for her, listing everything he could see around them until she settled on a cheeseburger with fries and a drink. He got her a drink in the fair's souvenir cup and pulled a permanent marker from his pocket to write her name on the side so they knew it was hers. After they got Kimmy's food, Ben got in line next to the burger stand to grab himself a turkey leg.

While waiting in line for the turkey leg, Ben pointed out Grandma Joy and Miguel had gotten their food and found a table. She looked over before carefully making her way over, stopping to let everyone go by instead of crossing in front of them. She sat at the end of the picnic table, across from Grandma Joy and Miguel, who was sharing the plate of food since it was a large portion.